Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-21-2014, 05:57 AM   #1

Pef verses dng?

I have a K3 and use Aperture. I have been using dng and running it thru a converter to get into Aperture. Aperture has been update so I can eliminate the converter.

So which format is the best? What do most of you use?

Thanks.

Steve

03-21-2014, 06:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Many previous threads about it.

Here is one.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/152865-raw-pef-vs-dng-difference.html
03-21-2014, 06:19 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. Good information.
03-21-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The new Aperture update isn't 100% functional. PEF files lose lens EXIF. DNG files don't have focus point data.

03-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
DNG files don't have focus point data.
Is that just for the K-3? Because the focus point is visible for the DNGs of my K-50.
03-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
Is that just for the K-3? Because the focus point is visible for the DNGs of my K-50.
Apparently yes.
03-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PEF files are compressed using a "lossless" compression. SilkyPix/DCU will work with these files. This is a proprietary file format, is relatively new, and not everything works with it.
DNG files are larger than PEF files. DNG is an "open source" format which is compatible with most contemporary software.
The link above is to a thread which contains a link to another thread which contains a link to a third thread which all say "I can't tell the difference".

03-21-2014, 08:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot PEFs, then use the Adobe DNG converter to create a DNG copy. I keep the PEFs as an archived copy on a separate hard disk. It sounds tedious but Lightroom can be set up to do all that automatically, it just takes longer. The advantages:
  • PEFs are harder to open and change so they make good archive files.
  • The converter reads the files right from the card and flags corrupt files immediately. You know about a problem in time to fix it.
  • The DNGs make great working files because changes are stored within the files, so there are no sidecar files to lose.
  • It's automatic.
Disadvantages:
  • Doubles import time at least.
  • Lightroom changes are not archived by this, so your import presets and edits would have to be redone.
I don't know how that applies to Aperture but the system works for me.
03-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
PEF files are compressed using a "lossless" compression. SilkyPix/DCU will work with these files. This is a proprietary file format, is relatively new, and not everything works with it.
DNG files are larger than PEF files. DNG is an "open source" format which is compatible with most contemporary software.
The link above is to a thread which contains a link to another thread which contains a link to a third thread which all say "I can't tell the difference".
DNGs since the K-7 have lossless compression. There is no advantage to PEF at all, which is why it isn't even included in the K-01/K-30/K-50/K-500.

DNG is not "open source", but it is a open standard created by Adobe.
03-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As many have noted before there is no real difference to the image only in what the software you have can do with it. Ricoh has seemingly made it clear they are moving to DNG since PEF is not in all cameras anymore. The only possible advantage to PEF is if you use the Pentax software. For any other software shoot DNG. A few years ago this might have been open to debate, at this point I see no reason to shoot PEF any longer.
03-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Ricoh has seemingly made it clear they are moving to DNG since PEF is not in all cameras anymore
+1 DNG all the way for me, no sidecars either.
03-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your comments. I have decided to use DNG. I think the fact that DNG is a standard used by many is a good reason to use it. The images can be used in the future if PEF goes away.

Steve
03-22-2014, 10:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I use dng because, as we all know, Pentax is doomed, (and has been for the last 50 years or so) so one day raw converters won't be able to open pef files, but they'll always be able to open dng files.

03-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Coke or Pepsi?
03-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #15

Original Poster
Coke.