Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #1

New Model Releases

Hi,
I'm looking to pick up my first Pentax (and first DSLR) in the next few months. I think it will probably be a K50, but I was wondering if Pentax has certain events or times they typically release new models. I don't really know the big photography trade shows like I do the electronics ones. I figured if there are any coming up relatively soon I would wait and see if a K60 gets released. Otherwise I would get the K50 a bit sooner.

03-21-2014, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account

A camera of tomorrow can't take photos today
03-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you appreciate the confidence that a well-established design provides,
I would say go with the K-50.

I got one in November, and am very happy with it.

The only major modern item it lacks is remote wireless image capture,
although there is a wired option with PK Tether.
03-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next big show is September I think. Ricoh has generally released something in association with the shows, but they have also released things out of the blue. So no real pattern.

Your guess is as good as anyone's, mine would be no new cameras until September. And remember there is a gap between announcing and actual delivery as well. So a September announcement might mean November for delivery.

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
+1

03-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The new stuff will also have a premium intro price.

If you buy a K-50 today, make sure you stop gathering camera data immediately. Take delivery and start taking shots. That will help avoid any buyer's remorse.
03-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
+1

QuoteOriginally posted by wingspan Quote
I figured if there are any coming up relatively soon I would wait and see if a K60 gets released
I'm not Pentax but the K50 is not even a year old yet (released July 2013). They typically update on a 1 or 2 year cycle. Kx to Kr was ~1, Kr to K30 was 2 years, K30 to K50 was 1. K7 to K5 was 1, K5 to K5ii was 2 years, K5ii to K3 was about 1. And I can't imagine that the next entry-level update will be a game changer, I doubt they would upgrade the sensor (aside from switching brand to sony). I could see the new Safox X making it's way in but even then, it may be better but not worth waiting for. The next one will however support the FluCard which might be something you're interested in.

The K50 is already quite the camera, making it better will bring it very close to the K3 territory on some aspect. I doubt Pentax/Ricoh would risk cannibalizing K3 sales for an updated K?0.

So far, it looks like they're doing a 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 years cycle, and if it stays that way the next update would be in 2015. But I'm not Pentax, even Pentax is not Pentax, who knows what Ricoh will do
03-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by wingspan Quote
Hi,
I'm looking to pick up my first Pentax (and first DSLR) in the next few months. I think it will probably be a K50, but I was wondering if Pentax has certain events or times they typically release new models. I don't really know the big photography trade shows like I do the electronics ones. I figured if there are any coming up relatively soon I would wait and see if a K60 gets released. Otherwise I would get the K50 a bit sooner.
The K-50 is based on the K-30, which was originally released back in mid-2012, so there's no doubt that it will see a successor sooner rather than later. But with that said, it's hard to beat the K-50 in terms of value, and its image quality is fantastic.

It's just $496 at Adorama, and you get a $50 gift card back for free, plus a bag and an extended (3 years total) warranty. Really can't go wrong
Pentax K-50 Digial SLR Camera Body, Black, Bundle w/Adorama $50 Gift Certificate 10883 A

The original price was $699.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is unlikely the new camera will have any features which are better than the K-50 that you will care about for at least a year or so, so get the K-50. If you have any money left over, invest in lenses. I have the K-30 with the 18-135, and I really like it. I had a KX with the 18-55, and to my eye, the 18-135 is generally much nicer. The WR is a big plus. From there, shoot for a few months, find out what it is you really want that the 18-135 can't deliver, then buy a lens for just that one thing. Repeat until you are happy. For me, my first really good lens was the Sigma 30mm/1.4 because I wanted faster aperture. Then I wandered off and bought the limited primes, then a Tamron 70-200, then a fisheye, on and on. Fun though.

---------- Post added 03-21-14 at 09:33 PM ----------

Edit...I saw a K-50 in the marketplace right after I posted. You may want to take a look there for a slightly used one. Most of us here take pretty good care of our toys!
03-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I think taking the cost difference into account I'll go with the K50. That extra money could go toward a pretty nice lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
For me, my first really good lens was the Sigma 30mm/1.4 because I wanted faster aperture.
I was actually thinking about the new version of that lens. The news post said there would be a review soon so I'll have to see how it does.