Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2014, 01:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax DNG files

Helle guys
The RAW converter of my choise is Capture One, which I have used for many years. Originally recimmended by Norwegian Jostein Øxne (PDML participant).
When ever I buy a new Pentax, Capture One does not seem to support the PEF-files for some time. I have tried to use Adobe Lightroom, whci will support any PEF-files, once I've downloaded the proper RAW plug-in.
So I only have two choises: I shoot DNG's and continue using Captuer One. Or i can switch to Ligtroom, which I don't really want - it's too complicated and makes a lot of organizing on my computer, wich I don't want.

My big problem is that the DNG files from Pentax looks very GREEN in phase one software Captue One 7 pro. What can I do about that?
Any heltp is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Jens, Denmark

03-22-2014, 02:00 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodana Quote
My big problem is that the DNG files from Pentax looks very GREEN in phase one software Captue One 7 pro. What can I do about that?
That should be easily fixable, as both PEF and DNG's contain the same image data. Hopefully someone that has use the software will be able to help

BTW, there are tons of other converters out there that you can use.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-22-2014, 03:00 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Adam
The best converterss are Lightroom and Capture One. I have been using Capture One for many yeats and wnat to continue to do so. The work flow/batch developing options a are very convenient. I don't want to learn Ligtroom, wich is much too complicated and designed for people who use it all day long at work. So is Capture One really, bus with much better user interface. I have noticed that also the DNG files from my K-01 come out VERY GREEN. I must be doing something wrong.
Please se: Very-GREEN-DNG_IMG1458-web | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Regards
Jens
03-22-2014, 03:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's just how the raw files look naturally. You'd see green PEFs if your software didn't recognize the correct camera and apply the proper white balance and colour correction.

03-22-2014, 06:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Hi Adam
The best converterss are Lightroom and Capture One. I have been using Capture One for many yeats and wnat to continue to do so. The work flow/batch developing options a are very convenient. I don't want to learn Ligtroom, wich is much too complicated and designed for people who use it all day long at work. So is Capture One really, bus with much better user interface. I have noticed that also the DNG files from my K-01 come out VERY GREEN. I must be doing something wrong.
Please se: Very-GREEN-DNG_IMG1458-web | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Regards
Jens
Actually Adobe ACR is exactly the same for Lightroom and CS6. Did you update your CS6 version of camera raw to 8.3 which includes the K3 pef and dng profiles? I very rarely ever use Auto WB in my CS6 ACR.
IF you do and have a color cast then it is either a simple matter of;
A. typing in your corrected WB value
B. Adjusting the color adjustment sliders
or if it not a cast and you want to lessen or heighten your colors
C.Use HSL/Grayscale/ Lumance and adjust which one(s)

Any one or a combination of adjustments can correct your colors.

Also what color profile are you importing from ACR into your CS6? if it is ProPhoto Rgb or Adobe Rgb and you don't convert the color space to Srgb prior to printing (only if your printer doesn't print in adobe rgb) or web posting your colors wont be right. If you don't want to deal with converting your color space change the ACR color setting to Srgb through the link at the bottom of the ACR screen.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 03-22-2014 at 01:11 PM.
03-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

My big problem is that the DNG files from Pentax looks very GREEN in phase one software Captue One 7 pro.
C1 is a great RAW convertor, when it works.

Sadly, Phase One have a LONG history of really dragging their heels on updating C1 to handle new Pentax cameras. It took them AGES and AGES and lots of complaining (from users like me, and others) to make K-x DNG's render normally. Ditto for the K-5. Ditto for the K-30, K-01 etc. And now the K-3. The C1 developers are just lazy, indifferent, or incompetent, or all three. It's really frustrating. I use Lightroom or DxO much more often nowadays.
03-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
THANKS FOR ANSWERING!
What is ACR? Adobe Camera Raw perhaps? Yes, I did get the 8.3 camera raw plug in - so Photoshop CAN read my PEF files properly. I don't like Lightroom. It makes a lot of fuzz - lots of new files, catalogs and stuff that I don't need, since I often move my images to other storage hard drives :-). (If I'd keep all my images in just one computer, I'd have to get new computers all the time. And Lightroom is too complicated. I don't have the time to figure out how it works. Capture One is brilliant for batch processing. Works great

I guess Capture One was primarily made for people using Phase One cameras. And perhaps some Nikon and Canon models (at least Phase One supports tethering with Canon and Nikon cameras, but not Pentax). Pentax users can only use PK-tether or Pentax Flucard Pro. I wish Capture One had a downloadable "Camera Raw" application for all cameras - like Adobe offers. I guess I could use Ligroom until Capture One is properly updated! That might take a year...!
I'd still like to know why my DNG files get so green. Why can other applications read Pentax DNG files properly - and Capture One can't? Same problem with K-01 DNG files - very green, very ugly.

Regards
Jens

03-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What is ACR? Adobe Camera Raw perhaps?
Yep.

Steve
03-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Photodana,

last year in june I changed from Aperture 3 to Capture One Pro 7 (Version 7.2). Never had a problem with PEF nor DNG files from my K5. I like the user interface and the available functions very much. And without much effort I really get great image quality - at least in most cases better than with A3.

For my Pentax K5 images COP7 uses the ICC-Profile "Pentax K5 Generic V2", Gradations... "Film Standard" and the Engine "Capture One 7". The menue of the "function block" shows an option for import of camera profiles. You can even show all available COP7 camera profiles.

Are you sure that the correct ICC-Profile is selected for your Camera? If yes, this profile maybe damaged. I first would search the internet for a fitting camera profile. Or you can profile your camera by yourself. If you don't know how you can do this, it should be possible to ask a professional foto studio for support. I think this could be the best way to get the perfect camera profile for your specific camera ... if the profile is the problem. Hope I could help.

Regards - acoufap