Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
CD burning problem.

I tried to burn a CD in windows 7, but a notice kept coming up asking to put in the right CD I put in a TDK and a Verbatim disk, but it wouldn't accept either which is a pain. Both the disks are new and clear of anything, so I don't know why this is happening.

Someone mentioned a programme called AShampoo, anyone use that please? if so, what's it like and is it worth having?

I don't mind Google Picassa, but accoring to my picture folder on my hard drive, there's more image's on that then I have on the Picassa.

Thanks very much.

03-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe the photo files are too large? A CD has 700 mb capacity. With a 16mp sensor, each image is around 4.5-6 mb, so a CD will hold about 110 photos. If you have a K3, your mileage on a CD will be less, around 80 pictures. Try a DVD-R if you have one handy.
03-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Problem isn't software related. Sometimes, most times, if not cleaned, there is dirt on the sensors. You just need a cd/dvd lens cleaner disk. And also, sometimes if the cd drive is older it could be you need a new one. They don't last forever.
03-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Working okay though Picassa, I recently cleaned the lens but I'll try again.

03-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You might also try this "fixit" from Microsoft. I've used it many times on customers computers and it works great.
03-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

Suffered the same problem a little while ago. Thought the burner had carked it and bought a new one only to have the same problem. Could not solve the problem so I used an external USB burner I have. My computer has 3 HDDs and shortly after I noticed that one by one they failed as well, while the main drive did not show any problems. Replugged the other drives into some spare SATA motherboard sockets but it was no good. Then I thought the motherboard was on the blink and started to look at new boards to re-build my system.

However then I discovered one of the dead HDD's made a funny clicking noise when under power. Ha, I thought they are not getting enough juice. Checked the voltage at the end of the power cable feeding into the drive and discovered it barely read 1.5V.

I installed a new power unit and all is well now. The old PU only had enough juice left to feed the main drive and mainboard but not enough to feed anything else.

You might just explore this possibility if nothing else works.

I was told Power Units can get weak and loose power over time more often than one would think. Obviously they don't last forever.

Greetings
03-23-2014, 01:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AuraTodd Quote
I tried to burn a CD in windows 7, but a notice kept coming up asking to put in the right CD I put in a TDK and a Verbatim disk, but it wouldn't accept either which is a pain. Both the disks are new and clear of anything, so I don't know why this is happening.

Someone mentioned a programme called AShampoo, anyone use that please? if so, what's it like and is it worth having?

I don't mind Google Picassa, but accoring to my picture folder on my hard drive, there's more image's on that then I have on the Picassa.

Thanks very much.
One of two things is happening here and it's not your burning software. Either Windows 7 just isn't recognizing discs at all now because you may have corrupted driver for your burner or your burner's laser is no longer working properly and Windows 7 therefore isn't reading that you have blank CD's to burn. I'd find out what type of burner it is and see if there is a dl driver for it. Try that first. Might solve it. But if your burner is older and you have burned a lot of discs it may just be shot. I got through one about every couple of years myself. They do wear out eventually. Two different types of discs used would indicate it's not a media problem. It sounds like Win 7 isn't even seeing them so that's got to be hardware or driver related. If the laser crapped or a driver went south that is usually what would happen.

03-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
You might also try this "fixit" from Microsoft. I've used it many times on customers computers and it works great.
I might ring up and enquire tommorrow, for now i have put the kink into my favourites. Where is the Power Unit, in the tower? I have downloaded a programme called ashampoo to see if that works, anyone else tried this programme?
03-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Power unit = power supply. This is a box inside the tower -- usually the case fan is integral -- where the power cord plugs into the case. Depending on the brand and model of your computer, it may be very simple to replace. Or not.

If you are handy with tools and not wary of doing this sort of repair yourself, the main issue with replacing it is finding a new one that will fit and is appropriate for the case you have. Are there well-stocked computer "stuff" shops nearby? If so...

Unplug the computer from the wall. Remove the case, and locate the power supply unit. It will have multiple small power cables attached to various components inside the case...make a note of all these connections before you unplug them, and remove the power supply unit from the case (typically mounted with a few screws). Take it to your computer shop to find a matching one (same size and shape, so it will fit, fan in the same location, same or larger number of small power cables to reconnect), then reverse the process.

Some manufacturers use a proprietary type of power supply that can only be replaced with an exact replacement unit, but many will take a generic unit as along as it fits.

That is, of course, IF the power supply is failing. They do fail. But if it's a power supply issue to the burner, you could just check the power connection to that component before you dismantle anything...find the internal power cable to it and make sure it's seated properly, not loose. Then test the burner before doing anything else.
03-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have a Dell Vostro tower with a PLDS DVD-ROM and a TSSTcorp DVD+RW. For about a year, my tower would not recognize either of these and would always show up in the Device Manager as greyed out. Tried the uninstall/install process several times with no luck. Was thinking about buying 2 new ones, but kept putting it off. Happened by this thread today and saw your reply from yesterday where you mentioned the "fixit" tip. Decided to try it and when it opened, it wanted to know which drive to check, and when it checked the first drive (D) it stated it was working properly. What the heck? Went to Device Manager and they both (D) and (E) were shown as working properly. No clues as to why they finally decided to work again, but glad I saw this thread. So you helped someone without even knowing it.
03-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
I helped someone? I might ring up coz I;m not fiddling bout with it. what do I click on on the fixit it thingy please?
03-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go back to Photolady's message and move your mouse over the word "fixit" in the text... that is a live link to the Microsoft help page. If you click on that link it will take you to the help page, there's a download that might help.
03-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Glad I could help someone. You're welcome Tom.

This doesn't seem to be a psu problem either. Not enough power would cause the system to not see the drives at all. That's why I suspect that the fixit I posted would help. And FWIW., most manufacturers do not list drivers for their CD/DVD drives because those come with the OS. The only thing manufacturers carry are firmware updates, but that's a whole other world and not usually suggested a comsumer try unless they know exactly what they are doing. Updating firmware on an optical drive, could render it completely dead.
03-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not enough power would cause the system to not see the drives at all.
Not in my case, the system could see the drive but I could not access it. Which was the reason I bought a new CD burner because I suspected it to be at fault and when the new one did not work I started to suspect a faulty motherboard. I guess system faults can manifest themselves in many different ways that's why it is often so difficult to find what the problem is.

Greetings
03-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not enough power would cause the system to not see the drives at all.
Actually, PSUs are cheap components in otherwise expensive computers and can be responsible for quite frustrating and/or intermittent errors, especially if dust has built up over time. The problems can even resemble those of bad RAM.

But it's handy to try to isolate the problem by using another drive with the system or attempt a burn with different software like 'Cdrtfe Portable'.