Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best way to remove sensor grease/oil?

Hi,used a lenspen brush to get some dust off & it left a greasy film? from where I don't know..had used it before with no bad effects, but what's the best way to remove grease /oil?? It can be from around the sensor frame as well. From what I see the Pentax cleaner is only for dust. Is the Pentax sensor sensitive to certain wet cleaning products?
K5II camera

Thanks for any help

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX P7100  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX P7100  Photo 
03-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Sensor Swabs (google it) always worked for me. But if there is dust, you risk scratching your sensor, and this would be baaaaad.

Check with your local camera store to see if they professionally clean sensors, sometimes it's worth it.

Here on BH... You need type II for Pentax

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/242758-REG/Photographic_Solutions_SS2B...ab_Type_2.html

And you will need their cleaning solution too

Or get some already "wet"

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/572883-REG/Photographic_Solutions_PE2C...l/prm/alsVwDtl

The first few tries, you may need more than 4 before you get the technique right

Last edited by fgaudet; 03-23-2014 at 05:41 PM. Reason: added links
03-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I recall reading that around the edges of the sensor, there is supposed to be some sticky stuff there to capture dust that is loosened by the built-in ultrasonic cleaner. Otherwise the loose dust would just keep getting tossed around to fall back on the sensor. I don't have any personal experience but this sounds reasonable to me. So anyhow, you need to stay away from that area.
03-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
from what i read Visible dust or Eclipse are the best solutions to use,anyone have experience with these? can get from UK easily

03-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Eclipse
Eclipse is the cleaning solution used (made by) Sensor Swab. I had good results with it but it proved to be more difficult to clean than expected, my first two tries made it worst than it was before. The third one was the charm. I guess it takes a bit of practice to get the swiping motion right.