Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

My lens is stuck!

I recently acquired a Pentax P3 with a third party (kalimar?) 135mm f2.8 lens. Although I rarely shoot film, and left my LX at my childhood home when going to university, I figured that the lens would be a nice addition to my arsenal, and it can be fun to play around with film sometimes (also, the camera and lens cost 150kr, about $24, so why not). However, the lens is now stuck on my K-m. The release button on the camera is partially depressed, and the lens rocks a little bit on the mounting, although it functions normally. It feels like the locking mechanism in the camera is jammed, similar to my 13mm extension tube with a sticky lock. Is there anything i can do to get the lens off, or do I have to send my camera to the shop?

03-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I have a feeling you're experiencing a Ricoh pin issue. There is a pin on some old third party manual lenses that gets stuck in the auto focus drive, it didn't cause a problem at the time since Pentax didn't have auto focus.

You'll need to try to gently slip something between the camera and lens where the auto focus drive is, very thin metal works well, like automotive feeler gauges. Sometimes you can coax it out of the hole using the auto focus drive, set the camera to AF and tap the release button repeatedly while gently wiggling the lens.
03-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also suspect the dreaded "Ricoh Pin". There are articles on this site as well as videos on the Web that give advice. Google "Ricoh Pin".

Steve
03-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, almost certainly Ricoh. I have (perhaps stupidly) had lenses stuck on my cameras 3 times now (different lenses)! You would think I would have learned but now I always inspect lens mount to look for the Ricoh pin.

In my experience you just need a bit of patience and technique to get the lens off. A thin feeler gauge is ideal if you have one but it usually possible to get the lens off by technique if don't have one (engaging / disengaging AF lever while twisting is part of it). I would definitely google and search these forums because there are lots of helpful hints (and different techniques may work with different lenses).

03-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses! I was totally panicked that I had ruined my baby, not to mention that of course it had to be that lens that got stuck. Finally got it off with the brute force/wiggling method, both camera and lens are fine. Operation lens time!