Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #1

K-30 sensor shake during exposure

Hello! I'm having an issue with my K-30 where the sensor is shaking during and immediately after an exposure. It is the same sound and vibration from the sensor, that the dust removal option creates, only it's happening during quick and long exposures. It is more noticeable in exposures >1 second, for every second of exposure time, there will be that many shakes/vibrations from the sensor, which throws the picture out of focus.

I have turned off the dust removal feature, reset all camera settings to default factory settings, and even installed the latest 1.06 firmware, and the shake is still present during exposures.

I searched this forum and found one similar user that had a similar issues, but don't know if there was ever a resolution other than sending it off for repair. Thread in question: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/226032-k-x-clicking-during-exposure.html

Has anyone else experienced this?

03-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

With liveview, optical viewfinder, or both?
03-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

It shakes even if you switch off stabilisation? I assume you're using a tripod for your long exposures, and the SR should always be off when using tripods or you will experience problems.
03-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
@vonBaloney: in Liveview, it's worse! The sensor shake is constant even before the exposure.

@savoche: Yup, still shakes with stabilization off, I use trip-pod for long exposures.

The live chat guy at Ricoh said I should send it in for repair since it's under warranty, but, I'm just wondering if it's something I did and what might cause this??? It's really strange!

03-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by send2nate Quote
@vonBaloney: in Liveview, it's worse! The sensor shake is constant even before the exposure.

@savoche: Yup, still shakes with stabilization off, I use trip-pod for long exposures.

The live chat guy at Ricoh said I should send it in for repair since it's under warranty, but, I'm just wondering if it's something I did and what might cause this??? It's really strange!
Well, that is an option for liveview to have constant image stabilization while the screen is on (you can also set it to stabilize at moment of capture only). But if you switch SR off totally it should be silent.
03-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you were the cause, the guy at Ricoh would have told you so. With any luck the warranty repair will be the cure.

Steve
03-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, what vanBaloney says. Sounds to me you should follow the advice of the Ricoh guy. Sucks to be without a camera during the wait, though...

03-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
Okay, thank you guys! I will be bummed for a little while then :/

I will follow up here once all is repaired in case anyone else should encounter this issue.
03-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AFAIK the SR mechanism has to do a little bit of work just to keep the sensor in place, even when the stabilization feature itself is disabled. To me it sounds like there's nothing wrong with your camera. In-body shake reduction is audible, especially during longer exposures. It's shouldn't be as loud as the dust removal feature, though. Still, if all your photos look normal, I would double-check before sending the camera in.

Can you sound clip/video illustrating the problem?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
AFAIK the SR mechanism has to do a little bit of work just to keep the sensor in place, even when the stabilization feature itself is disabled. To me it sounds like there's nothing wrong with your camera. In-body shake reduction is audible, especially during longer exposures. It's shouldn't be as loud as the dust removal feature, though. Still, if all your photos look normal, I would double-check before sending the camera in.

Can you sound clip/video illustrating the problem?

Here's a brief clip of the problem...
03-24-2014, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

It's broken.
01-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #12

Same problem!

I'm having the same problem! While my sensor isn't moving quite as fast, this is exactly what's happening (see video). Unfortunately, I'm out of warranty... so I'm really anxious to hear what people say to help.

01-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #13

Original Poster
Jodo,

I ended up returning my camera body to the Ricoh Service Department and they fixed the issue for me. The returned camera body came with a new 90 day warranty. From my prior chat logs with the Ricoh rep:

Thomas C: Unfortunately, It sounds like there is an internal malfunction with the camera. I recommend sending the
camera to our service department for repair. The product came with a one year manufacturers warranty from the date
of purchase and the repair facility would only need a copy of your proof of purchase (credit card slip or invoice) to
verify the purchase date for a warranty repair. If the product is not covered by our warranty at this time, you will be
sent an estimate via mail or phone line.

We suggest (for US residents only) that you return your camera directly to Pentax Imaging Company at the address
listed below for examination. You can call C.R.I.S. @ 877-269-7179 to approve or refuse the estimate. If you decide
to go through with the repair, it will come with a new 90 day standard warranty. If you decline the repair, we will
send the product back to you for a $12.00 shipping fee. Here is the information you will need to send the camera in
for repair:

Ricoh Service Department
250 North 54th St.
Chandler, AZ 85226

Be sure to use adequate packing material to prevent damage during shipping, and have the parcel insured. Please
include a note describing the problem and give your name, return shipping address, and telephone number. For initial tracking
purposes, please note the serial number of your equipment for your own records.

My K-30 has been working fine ever since the repairs! I hope this helps and am sorry this happened - not fun.