Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #1

Pentax FA 31mm Focus Ring Click

Hello,

I just received my used (like only 2 times - so mint condition) FA 31mm. The lens is solid and doesn't have any wobble like I've read others have. However, when using the manual focus and focusing away from infinity, the ring kinda gets a tiny bit stuck around 1.5 ft and then right before 1 ft. It continues on after a little bit of a click. It doesn't do this when focusing towards infinity. I'm guessing that's not the usual case for people? I'm wondering if I should send it back. I got a decent deal on a lens that is pretty much brand new (in condition, it was originally bought in 2011).

I appreciate your help!

03-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My 31mm doesn't exhibit that behaviour
03-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
My 31mm doesn't exhibit that behaviour
It's smooth all the way through both directions?

Thanks for the reply. So this has me a bit concerned.
03-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter

No clicks on mine either. It should be smooth if it's mint.

03-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by MickeyLaForge Quote
It's smooth all the way through both directions?

Thanks for the reply. So this has me a bit concerned.
Mine is smooth both ways.

Perhaps you found the reason for the "good deal" you got! The lens could have been dropped or something. Too bad, though. If I were you I'd return it. Who knows if this little issue turns into a bigger issue later.
03-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Mine is smooth both ways.

Perhaps you found the reason for the "good deal" you got! The lens could have been dropped or something. Too bad, though. If I were you I'd return it. Who knows if this little issue turns into a bigger issue later.
Yeah, that's a good point. I'm just super disappointed because other than that, the lens looks mint, and it was at a price I could afford. He has to be one of the nicest sellers I've worked with, though.

He offered me 3 options:

1) Try it out and see if it gets better, since it hasn't been used much since 2011
2) Send it for repair and he will cover all costs, including shipping
3) Send it back and he will pay for return shipping

I want this lens so bad, but I don't want to have to worry about this expensive (for me) investment having this issue or more down the road. I'm not sure if I feel good about sending it for service, as I've done that with musical equipment and had things come back not much better or worse.
03-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Pentax offers a free estimate upon reception of the item to repair.
03-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
Pentax offers a free estimate upon reception of the item to repair.
So I'd just have to pay shipping there and back? Might not be a bad option. Have you had good luck with lens repairs in the past?

03-25-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter

So I'd just have to pay shipping there and back? Might not be a bad option. Have you had good luck with lens repairs in the past?
One of their repair centers is currently repairing my 50-135 via Mack warranty. I don't have any direct experience with them. I called awhile back for another issue, that's when they told me they were offering free estimates. She also mentioned that they charge $100 per hour for service. Just check the Ricoh website and call....
03-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #10

Original Poster
One of their repair centers is currently repairing my 50-135 via Mack warranty. I don't have any direct experience with them. I called awhile back for another issue, that's when they told me they were offering free estimates. She also mentioned that they charge $100 per hour for service. Just check the Ricoh website and call....
Thanks. That could get pricey out of warranty.

I guess I need to decide if I feel good about dropping a decent amount of money on something that needs to be sent in for repairs.
03-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #11
Site Supporter

I guess I need to decide if I feel good about dropping a decent amount of money on something that needs to be sent in for repairs.
I'd say if you paid no more than $700 for the lens, it could be worth it. It could be $200 to $300 for this repair...
03-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #12

Original Poster
I paid more than that. He said he would cover the costs, but I may not feel comfortable with a 31mm that needs to be sent in for repairs already, when he only used it 2 or 3 times. If it was cheap enough, I could live with the slight clicking/sticking, but like it was mentioned earlier, what if this is the start of other issues. I guess I have some real first-world problems going on right now! Haha, I'm just happy I had the opportunity to purchase this lens, even though it might end in disappointment.

---------- Post added 03-25-14 at 01:53 PM ----------

On a side note, I've been eyeballing the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art. Looks pretty good--and there is some decent debates on how it compares to the 31mm. Looking at comparison shots, the bokeh is a little smoother and less distracting on the 31mm. But I think the Sigma has it beat CA. There is also that Sigma 18mm-35mm Art coming out (for pentax), which is supposed to be nice. I wonder how it compares to these two lenses.

Heavy lenses, though.
03-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter

the bokeh is a little smoother and less distracting on the 31mm
Really? the 31's bokeh is the smoother thing I've ever seen. For what I've seen the highlights are softer and the transitions cleaner on the 31.... Dude just return your lens if it clicks. It's a limited lens it should be mechanically a thing of beauty. If you have $800 you have $900 and save yourself a headache.
03-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #14

Original Poster
Really? the 31's bokeh is the smoother thing I've ever seen. For what I've seen the highlights are softer and the transitions cleaner on the 31.... Dude just return your lens if it clicks. It's a limited lens it should be mechanically a thing of beauty. If you have $800 you have $900 and save yourself a headache.
Yeah, I think the bokey on the 31mm is smoother as well.

I was definitely expecting it to be a mechanical beauty from what I read! That's why I was surprised/disappointed. Thank you for the advice!