Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2014, 05:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

"Nervous Nellie" w/ new K-3 problem... or not?

...So I visually inspected my brand new K-3 from B&H... Here's the oddity: Looking at the viewfinder window from the rear, the "plate", or sub-assembly, to which the surrounding rubber eyecup is attached appeared to lie a bit off horizontal with respect to the main body of the camera -- high on one side by somewhere between 1/32 and 1/16 of an inch. I figured I'd call up some images from the net before pushing and prodding anything. No help there... so I pushed, and that plate + eyecup cushion moved into better alignment. Is this normal? I'm guessing yes; but, you know... Reassurance, anyone? Thanks!

03-26-2014, 05:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, that whole assembly can be removed so you can attach things like magnifying eyepieces, larger eyecups, and right-angle viewfinders (I have a Seagull one which is nice when taking pictures of the moon etc.).

I lost the rubber portion of the assembly a while ago (perils of the sling strap while dog walkies) and still need to get a replacement...
03-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Yeah, that whole assembly can be removed so you can attach things...
Yep, the rubber eyecup that comes with the camera is a removable accessory and made to slide off.

Steve
03-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, guys! ...(Yeah, I could see that the rubber part had to be a disposable/replaceable bit.) "Nellie" calmed down and went ahead with the no-brainer Pentax extended warranty purchase at B&H; so that's all done and I can get busy figuring this contraption out. Despite partial duties as the "corporate pro" in the film era, a twenty year hiatus from doing any kind of photography leaves me looking at a somewhat daunting learning curve here in Year 14 of the 21st Century! There were fewer twiddle-y bits sticking on and hanging off SLRs in the old days, if you don't count flash... Nikon Photomic heads not withstanding. -- Fred

BTW, TER-OR, would you know if there's a straightforward way to adapt my film era Pentax or Nikon right angle magnifying finders to that attachment point on the K-3? I know that the Chinese finder comes with lots of plastic parts to achieve some universality.

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 03-26-2014 at 10:22 PM.
03-27-2014, 06:02 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I THINK the viewfinders probably have an adapter plate for that, but don't know for sure. Photodiox or one of those might make something too. It seems like these are made for FF viewfinder sizes with down-sizing adapters for APS-C windows. So you could just get what you need with one of the inexpensive ones.
Your old viewfinder adapters might be higher quality than the Seagull or similar.

Amazon.com: Seagull 1x-2x Right Angle Finder for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Fuji, Olympus and Leica SLR cameras: Camera & Photo
03-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
adapt my film era Pentax or Nikon right angle magnifying finders to that attachment point on the K-3?
Your K-3 takes the same size eyepiece accessories as every Pentax SLR from the M-series forward.

Steve