Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #1

BW Film question:

So, seeing my dad's Canon T90 and BW darkroom as a kid.... Well I want to add BW film to my fun and am looking at finding a K1000.

Question: I remember the announcement that Kodak ceased production a few years ago and assumed film was going the way of some dinosaurs. I am glad that it appears I was incorrect? So, is BW film still in active production? Where can I find a Developers kit for BW at home?

03-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Kodak still make film, they just dropped their slide film line.

Freestyle is a good place to start for looking at film & developers:

Home | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

Phil.
03-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, Wow did I mishear that news. Good to know that I can pursue film and use my digital for Color. I loved B&W as a kid and have some memory of some real cool photos my Dad shot that just would not have been the same in color.
03-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scotchman Quote
Thanks, Wow did I mishear that news. Good to know that I can pursue film and use my digital for Color. I loved B&W as a kid and have some memory of some real cool photos my Dad shot that just would not have been the same in color.

While this forum has a worthy section on film shooting, here is the place to go for full info on film shooting: http://www.apug.org/forums/home.php

Be warned. There is a tendency for the "true believer" syndrome.....

03-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #5

Original Poster
TBS? Not a problem, My first computer was an Atari400 followed by a VIC-20 I purchased with paper-route money. Digital is here to stay with me but Analog has its place. Although Quatum Physics is learning that even "Analog" is stiil digital at the lowest levels. ;-)

Ill bookmark them and pursue both paths. Thanks
03-28-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

In addition to Kodak, Ilford, Fuji, Rollei and Fomopan also still make or market black and white film. Not sure where you are but try contacting a local photo club as they may have developing tanks etc free as so many people got out of home darkrooms. Not me but others. I have been given tanks, trays, enlargers , enlargering lenses and Greylab timers in the past four or five years and have also passed out some darkroom equipment to others.

In regards to APUG people there see at a last refuge for analogue so they do notalldigital discussed, there is a hybrid forum that is an offshot but I forget what it is called. Some are anti-digital but most are wishing to keep apug for the A in its name

Do not be afraid to also try Freestyle's house brand films and papers, the film is either Fomopan or for the Artista.Ultra ( i think that is its name) is Kodak TriX

Most importantly Have Fun!
03-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I can go to a local camera store in my area and still find a comparatively large selection of film in small, medium and large format! Certainly not as comprehensive as in the glory days of film but a good selection nevertheless. BW is Far from dead but color is slowly being thinned out to the more popular choices.
03-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #8

Original Poster
Guess I need to find a good Camera store nearby. I found one and have learned that Pentax is like the Linux of Cameras. Popular everywhere but in the stores ;-) With Canon and Nikon taking the place of M$ and Mac... Guess Ill stop in anyway.

03-28-2014, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Guess I need to find a good Camera store nearby. I found one and have learned that Pentax is like the Linux of Cameras. Popular everywhere but in the stores ;-) With Canon and Nikon taking the place of M$ and Mac... Guess Ill stop in anyway.
I thought that "M$" thing was so last decade ago.
03-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #10

Original Poster
Yeah, I finally switched to Linux after dealing with Win7. Now I am learning Gimp and plan on having a ball working with new photos in it instead of foto$chop.

This is a whole new world I got into.
03-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Yeah, I finally switched to Linux after dealing with Win7. Now I am learning Gimp and plan on having a ball working with new photos in it instead of foto$chop.

This is a whole new world I got into.
Though years ago, my pictures improve a lot when I retired the GIMP and moved to a 48 bit color workflow in the ProPhoto RGB color space using Photoshop and Lightroom. I hope by now GIMP finally supports 48 bit color?

My first Linux install was around 1995. I administer a Red Hat Linux system at work. Linux is a miss-mash, jumbled mess, IMHO, compared to the *BSD systems i have used.

EDIT: BTW, I meant it was so last decade to call Microsoft, "M$". We have moved way beyond that by now, no?

Last edited by tuco; 03-28-2014 at 02:31 PM.
03-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Be warned. There is a tendency for the "true believer" syndrome.....
You think? You should have warned the OP to not whisper the words "scanner" or "digital" on any APUG posts.

Steve

---------- Post added 03-28-14 at 04:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
for the Artista.Ultra ( i think that is its name) is Kodak TriX
Arista Premium 400 is made in the U.S.A. and by pure logic of exclusion, must be Tri-X. It used to be that Freestyle packaged Fuji Neopan Acros 100 as Legacy Pro 100, but those days (sadly) are now gone. The other Arista films are rebranded Foma product (made in Czech Republic).

Steve

---------- Post added 03-28-14 at 04:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
My first Linux install was around 1995. I administer a Red Hat Linux system at work.
Me too. I first did Linux in about 1996 to gain experience with Apache Web server administration. Now that was an adventure. In the recent past, my developer's workstation was a CentOS box. That was a very pleasant experience overall and much superior for my needs than a Windows 7 machine. I maintain a Linux box here at home for prototyping and proof-of-concept work.

Steve

---------- Post added 03-28-14 at 04:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
EDIT: BTW, I meant it was so last decade to call Microsoft, "M$". We have moved way beyond that by now, no?
Definitely. Now that Gates and Balmer are gone, Microsoft bashing is no fun anymore

Steve
03-28-2014, 09:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Umm, as a donating member of APUG, don't bother going there until you know enough to ask intelligent specific questions, they can be a difficult bunch at times. The overall analog photographic knowledge on that board however is probably second to none.
I would suggest using the film forum and the SLR camera forum on this board instead, much more friendly and helpful to a beginner, at least one who is smart enough to want a Pentax film camera.

Also a K1000 is a "fun" camera due to its simple essentials only approach (I have one), but there are actually far more capable K mount bodies that can be had for less thanks to its "classic" status driving the prices up. If you really want a K1000 make sure it has the Asahi logo on the front of the penta prism (top housing) and decide if you would prefer a split prism that the SE version comes with.
Assume that any old camera body you buy will need a CLR unless a reliable seller specifically states it has been done in the last few years. If not the board favorite is Eric: Home

As far as a darkroom do your homework so you know what you need and can identify and inspect what your are getting. Be patient, don't jump on the first setup for sale, I know a number of people that have snagged complete darkrooms for free, and there is no reason to pay more than $100 for everything with all the stuff on craigslist. People are literally throwing darkrooms away these days.
Chemicals and paper will likely cost more than the equipment you get.

I chose a Beseler 23c II enlarger because of the huge supply in that brand of parts and accessories and aftermarket support for even 50+ year old units. Got the complete darkroom for $50. Plus it seems like there is always at least one for sale on craigslist. This enlarger could also do 645 film if you decide to get a Pentax 645 later.
http://www.oresteen.com/bess23c.htm

I prefer Ilford to Kodak because while Kodak seems to be constantly on the way out Ilford is really commited to B&W and makes 100% of the supplies you need from film to print in everything from beginner to pro quality so you have a complete fully compatible system and they have a wonderful website that explains everything they make and how to use it.
http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/default.asp

Here is something to help you get the ball rolling though as he admits the methods are a bit quick and dirty: chromogenic.net - How To Develop Your Own Film
Mind the expiration dates of things before you buy chemical supplies, that info is all on the Ilford site for their products.
To put it bluntly the shelf life of darkroom chemicals sucks, especially after mixing. You will want to shoot several rolls of film before you buy the chemicals if possible.
03-28-2014, 09:31 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Umm, as a donating member of APUG, don't bother going there until you know enough to ask intelligent specific questions, they can be a difficult bunch at times. The overall analog photographic knowledge on that board however is probably second to none.
Over at the large format photography forum I visit there are some die hards there too. Some pretty blinded, IMHO. Bring up a digital camera or even medium format film camera and some will turn up there nose and say there is no image better than from their 8x10. And all I can think of is you get a pretty bad shot from an 8x10 when it's a blank sheet because you couldn't take the picture due to the setup and focus time is way too slow. I guess those old grey beards think photography is just landscapes, things that don't move and pictures taken within the proximity of your car!
03-28-2014, 10:16 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You think? You should have warned the OP to not whisper the words "scanner" or "digital" on any APUG posts.
This amazes me how upset they get when some-one mentions a scanner. I wonder how they post pictures?
Glenn