Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #1

Vintage old school lenses

Hi am new to photography in all terms ! I am planing to enter to world of SLr by getting a new camera! The are lots on market but since am a "proud" (feeling this way) owner of a km old school Pentax
that my father gave to me and having also 3 top quality lences ! i really dont want them to getting waisted.
on the foto bellow you cant see my " legacy "
So i would like to know What you guys suggests me to starter? So in future i can use em . "now am using a fuji finepix 2500 that helped me learning using manual "
Since pentax slr can use this lence i think is manadatory. !
i have used canon 1100D from a friend "looks so easy to use " also said that can be used with adaptor! true ? Can you get the max of it?
Anyway am waiting for tips . Thanx in advance any responce would be usefull.
lences are
1:1.8/55 - 1:3.5./135 and the "perl" 1:3.5 /28

Attached Images

03-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The best Pentax for those lenses would be a K-01 or K-30/50.

Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-01 vs. Pentax K-50 vs. Pentax K-30 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com
03-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Some nice lenses there you got.
03-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those 3 lenses are very good, especially the 28/3.5. They will work very well on any modern Pentax digital SLR camera, and no adapter is required. I have several modern lesnes, but also use my "legacy" lenses often on my K-5 II.

You might know already that (Ricoh) Pentax offers several DSLR models ranging from the K-500 to the K-3, at various price points. As suggested above, you might prefer to start with a K-30, K-50, or K-01, either new or used. Also, the K-5 II and K-5 IIs may be found at very attractive prices on the used market or at dealers who still have them in stock.

- Craig

03-28-2014, 10:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Those 3 lenses are very good, especially the 28/3.5. They will work very well on any modern Pentax digital SLR camera, and no adapter is required. I have several modern lesnes, but also use my "legacy" lenses often on my K-5 II.

You might know already that (Ricoh) Pentax offers several DSLR models ranging from the K-500 to the K-3, at various price points. As suggested above, you might prefer to start with a K-30, K-50, or K-01, either new or used. Also, the K-5 II and K-5 IIs may be found at very attractive prices on the used market or at dealers who still have them in stock.

- Craig

you was in my mind and was closing to k-500 since is more to my budget! K-01 is not availiable on market need to search outboard also what about k-r?
03-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cosa Quote
you was in my mind and was closing to k-500 since is more to my budget! K-01 is not availiable on market need to search outboard also what about k-r?
I have the K-r and have one manual focus lens the 2.8 28mm and they work together. I think the main reason to suggest the K50/K500 is that not only are they newer models but they have a better and brighter viewfinder making it easier to manual focus a lens.
03-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
I have the K-r and have one manual focus lens the 2.8 28mm and they work together. I think the main reason to suggest the K50/K500 is that not only are they newer models but they have a better and brighter viewfinder making it easier to manual focus a lens.
They also have Focus Peeking, which makes it much easier to manual focus a lens.

03-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
They also have Focus Peeking, which makes it much easier to manual focus a lens.

This gonna be verry usefull !! i guess k500 is winning for me here since am not so fanatic on water shooting. the only problem is pentax is so hard to find here to few stores. everyone runs a canon or nikon these days heres an example

Pentax K-500 Kit | Skroutz.gr
k-30 and k-50 they start from 500 euros..

---------- Post added 03-28-14 at 10:46 PM ----------

+ i wanted to ask with an old lens do you get the stability pentax system as on a new one? do they work together?
03-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cosa Quote
+ i wanted to ask with an old lens do you get the stability pentax system as on a new one? do they work together?
One of the advantages of Pentax cameras is that they include in-body 'shake reduction' so all lenses benefit. No need to have in-lens stabilization.
03-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's also "Catch-in-focus" which automatically triggers the shutter when focus is reached - but doesn't really know if you wanted the focus at exactly the spot the camera detects, so there's still skill in the use of manual lenses. These older lenses are also prone to flare from light, and it's worse on digital sensors. Consider some screw-on hoods like this:

B+W 52mm #900 Rubber Lens Hood 65-069600 B&H Photo Video

That's some nice glass you have, it will take some practice to learn the practice of using them. Pentax does make it easier, with good tools for manual operation.
03-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
There's also "Catch-in-focus" which automatically triggers the shutter when focus is reached - but doesn't really know if you wanted the focus at exactly the spot the camera detects, so there's still skill in the use of manual lenses. These older lenses are also prone to flare from light, and it's worse on digital sensors. Consider some screw-on hoods like this:

B+W 52mm #900 Rubber Lens Hood 65-069600 B&H Photo Video

That's some nice glass you have, it will take some practice to learn the practice of using them. Pentax does make it easier, with good tools for manual operation.

i am lucky cause the 1:3.5./135 has a old scool hood for that! thanks a lot for all the info ! now time to search for a good price to get me a new camera and make pictures thnx for all the replies!