Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Needing photoshop suggestions

I've fixed most of her face but on almost all the photos there is a light spot on her left cheek & chin. I've tried several different Photoshop tools, watched tutorials, read tutorials but I can not get this to blend. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Attached Images

03-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by julbelle Quote
I've fixed most of her face but on almost all the photos there is a light spot on her left cheek & chin. I've tried several different Photoshop tools, watched tutorials, read tutorials but I can not get this to blend. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!
I cannot see what you are referring to. Perhaps posting a larger picture with some arrows on an overlay would help.
Thanks,

M
03-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Dodge & Burn... Phlearn has good tutorial if you're looking for photoshop tricks.

But I'd like to add that I too fail to see what you are referring to. Also, your picture is already very soft, too much photoshop is not a good thing, you'll end up with a featureless, flat looking picture if you get rid of every highlights.
03-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here's another untouched photo, I added an arrow to the area. Going to watch the video now, Thanks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The softness of the eyes is more of an issue than anything on the skin to me. The skin looks fine in the unedited crop.
03-30-2014, 01:32 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dodge and burn as suggested. Or you can clone stamp tool.
03-30-2014, 01:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Something like this?

If so you need a lot of control - it's easy to get it wrong.

Create a duplicate layer and do your corrections only on that layer then blend it into the background layer.

In this case it was a combination of 2% mid tone burn with some cloning around the edges and about a 60% blend between the duplicate and background layer. I don't remember exactly what I did.

The main point is that for this kind of very subtle correction you need to master working with layers and nothing comes even close for this kind of work than PS.

For starters get this: The Adobe Photoshop Layers Book by Richard Lynch, Focal Press.

Last edited by wildman; 04-16-2014 at 04:15 AM.
03-30-2014, 02:26 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
You've not said which version of PS you have, but certainly in PS CC there are some very clever content aware tools that do a great job usually.

03-30-2014, 05:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Since this is blurred already it makes it a tad bit tough to do a really good job of it... Here's what I did using CS6.

1. Enlarged the spot healing tool and used over the area under her eye of your concern.
2. used spot healing tool on various areas showing dark spots and blemished skin
3. used to polygon lasso tool on inside eye and complete mouth area then applied slight unsharp masking
4. inverted selection and used slight gaussian blur
4. deselected area then reused Polygon Lasso tool on eye area then applied slight brightness adjustment.
5. used eyedropper tool on brightest part white eye area then used the paintbrush @ 26% opacity to even out the color
6. Used the blur tool on the teeth with 25% opacity to soften the effect of using unsharp mask on them.

Everything was done so it would only show subtle changes and there is more that could have been worked on but I didn't want to put a lot of time into it.

Also if you want to do more Portrait work I would suggest looking into Portrait Professional. Right now it is on sale 50% off for $49.95 http://www.portraitprofessional.com/and you should be able to use one of these coupons for and addition 15% off http://www.retailmenot.com/view/portraitprofessional.com. It can be used stand alone or as a plug in filter with the Studio Edition, it is well worth the cost. I wasn't able to use it on your photo since it either requires having full facial features or a profile shot.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 03-30-2014 at 08:28 AM.
03-30-2014, 06:16 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks! I'm using PS cs5. I know the pics are too soft most of them were. This was my first practice shoot. The latest they could only meet that day was at 3 & it was bright & sunny! I did the bet I knew how & went to shady spots.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 03-30-14 at 06:59 AM ----------

Last edited by julbelle; 03-30-2014 at 06:59 AM.
03-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Portrait Pro is amazing!!!!! Thank You!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote

Since this is blurred already it makes it a tad bit tough to do a really good job of it... Here's what I did using CS6.

1. Enlarged the spot healing tool and used over the area under her eye of your concern.
2. used spot healing tool on various areas showing dark spots and blemished skin
3. used to polygon lasso tool on inside eye and complete mouth area then applied slight unsharp masking
4. inverted selection and used slight gaussian blur
4. deselected area then reused Polygon Lasso tool on eye area then applied slight brightness adjustment.
5. used eyedropper tool on brightest part white eye area then used the paintbrush @ 26% opacity to even out the color
6. Used the blur tool on the teeth with 25% opacity to soften the effect of using unsharp mask on them.

Everything was done so it would only show subtle changes and there is more that could have been worked on but I didn't want to put a lot of time into it.

Also if you want to do more Portrait work I would suggest looking into Portrait Professional. Right now it is on sale 50% off for $49.95 PortraitPro - Easy Photo Editing Softwareand you should be able to use one of these coupons for and addition 15% off http://www.retailmenot.com/view/portraitprofessional.com. It can be used stand alone or as a plug in filter, it is well worth the cost. I wasn't able to use it on your photo since it either requires having full facial features or a profile shot.
03-30-2014, 08:09 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by julbelle Quote
Portrait Pro is amazing!!!!! Thank You!!
Your welcome...Its better to go with the Studio edition @ $79.95 and use the other coupon. Don't forget to set up the plugin if you get the Studio edition it is better than the $49.95 basic version..that way you can use it in CS5 from your filters selection under Anthropics.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 03-30-2014 at 08:24 AM.
03-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
The softness of the eyes is more of an issue than anything on the skin to me. The skin looks fine in the unedited crop.
I agree!
03-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The softness of the eyes is the only problem I'm seeing, and it's a pretty significant problem. It's easy to over-PP skin - it's not supposed to be perfectly smooth.

I'd suggest not telling her her face needs "fixing"; it looks pretty good as-is.
03-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok so here is a before and after. I am not out to alter the shapes of their eyes, heads, etc, I think people are beautiful the way they are however I do want to smooth out skin and such... Please let me know what you think. I did some editing in PS CS5 & a little in portrait professional.
Attached Images