Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-31-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
Forum Member

Custom White balance

Hi everyone, I have a little doubt of how can i do a correct wihite balance, either with gray cards, gray targets or caps. I have a k-r but i think most of pentax should be the same.

I go to WB, then i go to this symol that looks like "2 slopes" and then what is the correct way?

Do i take the picture to the card then what?, i have seen on Nilon or Canon that you take the picture then you can select it for WB, but i have always had doubts of doing correctly on my pentax. Any help will be great.

Also if you have any suggestion about which is better (caps, small cards or those that looks like a target). I have a cap, the cons is that is a 52mm and when i want to use my tele or macro i need to change lens, pros is that cap covers all the image and does a good measure. So im thinking on buying a card to just shoot whithout the 52mm restriction and do this WB correctly.

03-31-2014, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best option is probably this: X-Rite ColorChecker Passport ? X-Rite Photo ? X-Rite Passport

Not only does it have a grey card, it will let you build a custom color profile to ensure all the colors are accurate, and makes it easy to adjust colors as well.
03-31-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Concur with naraul. I used to carry a Kodak grey card but the Passport has more utility and includes physical protection of the working surfaces.
03-31-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eder Quote
I go to WB, then i go to this symol that looks like "2 slopes" and then what is the correct way?

Do i take the picture to the card then what?
You press the shutter button, then use the four-way button pad to point the white square on the rear display to your white balance card and press OK. The image isn't stored so you aren't really taking a picture.

03-31-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi everyone, I have a little doubt of how can i do a correct wihite balance, either with gray cards, gray targets or caps. I have a k-r but i think most of pentax should be the same.

Do i take the picture to the card then what?
You have to press the shutter button. If you are using a method that fills most of the image with white or gray, make sure you turn off autofocus first. Otherwise the camera will try to focus, find nothing to focus on, then give up. The camera might also have trouble in extremely bright or dark conditions, if the exposure settings are way off - like if you are in M mode and still set up for your last shot in bright daylight.

Then you can use the dial to select whether the camera uses the entire screen for a white balance, or just one spot on it. The whole screen is useful for one of those caps, choosing just a spot allows you to place a white or gray card in the scene, then choose just that card.

QuoteQuote:
i have seen on Nilon or Canon that you take the picture then you can select it for WB, but i have always had doubts of doing correctly on my pentax. Any help will be great.
Canon in particular adds extra steps to the process, I don't know why.

QuoteQuote:
Also if you have any suggestion about which is better (caps, small cards or those that looks like a target). I have a cap, the cons is that is a 52mm and when i want to use my tele or macro i need to change lens, pros is that cap covers all the image and does a good measure. So im thinking on buying a card to just shoot whithout the 52mm restriction and do this WB correctly.
I like the card because you can place it in the scene. That works better when you have mixed lighting. Say you are taking a portrait indoors and the person is mostly lit from incandescent indoor lighting. There's a window in the scene that lets in northern light. That's way bluer than the inside lighting. A white balance that covers the whole scene (the cap) is going to be a compromise. A card can set the white balance for the light on your subject.
03-31-2014, 04:33 PM   #6

Do i take the picture to the card then what?, i have seen on Nilon or Canon that you take the picture then you can select it for WB, but i have always had doubts of doing correctly on my pentax. Any help will be great.

I uploaded a PDF (to Drop Box) for setting a custom white balance in the K30 it should be the same for the K50 .You're welcome to download it.
03-31-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
The best option is probably this: X-Rite ColorChecker Passport ? X-Rite Photo ? X-Rite Passport
+1 on this and it works seamlessly with Lightroom 5, happy days.

04-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have to +1 narual's suggestion. I have a X-Rite Color Checker Passport and I never have to worry about color correction again. Out in the field I take a shot of the checker in the light that I'm working in. If I go inside a new place then I'll take another shot. Once I've done it, then I can apply that color correction in Lightroom. The amazing thing here is that the X-Rite software provides you with a color calibration that you can apply to all of your images. Once I created the profile in X-Rite's software all I needed to do was apply that correction in Lightroom to one image, copy the develop settings from it and then paste it into all of the other images. With this method, you can instantly color correct thousands of images in a few seconds.
Just remember, that the color you get isn't necessarily what looks best artistically. But if you're doing product photography where your camera's sensor may not register a specific color exactly correctly, then this is THE best way to go.

Almost forgot - You should be in RAW and never in JPEG.
03-26-2021, 11:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
I uploaded a PDF (to Drop Box) for setting a custom white balance in the K30 it should be the same for the K50 .You're welcome to download it.
Geru2000's pdf on manually setting up to 3 WB settings in the K30 works on my K70, so Pentax is to be praised for not changing the interfaces too much over the years. Thanks Geru2000 for the pdf.