Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nodders Quote
I have attached two pictures (I hope)
The lens mount looks damaged to me. I'd return it ASAP.

BTW, the K-500 is currently on sale brand new for $399 if that's up your alley. Buying from an authorized dealer should also give you extra peace-of-mind:
Pentax K-500 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens

Essentially the same camera without weather sealing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-02-2014, 01:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This sucks, I am sorry.

You can buy used from BhPhoto, Adorama and KEH with a pretty good peace of mind with very easy returns.

Frankly, I never had trouble with ebay either, although many people would disagree.

You can get K-30 new, straight from amazon for $430, K-50 from BHPhoto for $500 (you don't pay sales tax until a tax return at Bh, unless you are in new york).
The 18-55mm lens is very cheap on the used market, so you can buy it second hand.
04-02-2014, 03:18 AM   #18
Site Supporter

It will be interesting to hear if the return is successful. It may be a private seller rather than a business, selling defective used goods on Amazon. Payment method will be key here.
04-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #19

Original Poster
The seller has agreed to take the kit back, although they are adamant that everything was brand new and couldn't have been tampered with. Ironically, the lense was in an unmarked box without any serial numbers or anything. I do suspect it was a damaged return that just got put back on the shelf for resale.

04-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #20
Site Supporter

The lens should have come with some papers, one of which has the serial number on it, it's not printed on the box itself. So even if the lens was part of a "kit box", the paper with matching serial number should be provided. So if the papers were missing, that shows they are a questionable seller. That and, uh, of course, the actual damaged lens mount, as shown in your picture!

You might want to tell the community who the seller is, so others here might avoid them. Sorry for your trouble.
04-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #21

Original Poster
I will. But think I will wait until the money is back in my account!
05-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #22

Original Poster
finally

A terrible ordeal. I finally got the replacement lens, fully functional and complete with papers! It attached to the camera as it should and although the weather hasn't been conducive to photography (unless you like fog and rain), I am very pleased with the test shots that I have taken.

I would avoid ZOOOM Electronics at all cost. It took almost 4 weeks to get a replacement lens and the communication was terrible. My emails would get ignored or responded to with "we will get back to you". I received one email of apology indicating they would ship priority immediately and then 3 days later get an email saying it was shipped regular two weeks ago (April 10). A tracking number was provided but no carrier identified so I could not locate it. It wasn't until I initiated an Amazon "Guarantee Claim" on April 24 that it was shipped.

Still trying to recoup my shipping costs to return. We will see.

thanks all for your comments and help
05-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for reporting back - that is not often seen !

best of luck .. and since you got your DSLR - why don't you snap something and upload for a K3 photography contest ?
--manntax