Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #1

Mirror stuck problem with Pentax K-7

Hi.

I have a mirror problem with my camera, which has not been discussed here, as far as I could make out.
I own a Pentax K-7 serial number 3414039 that I have bought second hand. I guess it is about 4 or 5 years old.
About half a year ago I started to get this mirror problem that goes as follows. From time to time the mirror gets stuck in the upper position, so that you cannot see through the camera, and neither takes pictures. The last picture it takes before getting stuck is sharp and nice, like all the other pictures, but the mirror does not come down again for some time. I have tried taking off the lens, taking out the battery, etc, but it does not release the mirror. Eventually the mirror comes back down, sometimes after 1 minute, sometimes after 30 minutes.

When the mirror is stuck, i can take of the lens, and pull it down, and it will snap right back up when I let it go (just like you can pull it up, and it snaps down, when it is normal and as it should be). It is not a sticky filt problem.
As far as I can work out, battery-level, or lens does not affect the issue.

The issue occurs from time to time. On green mode maybe every 20 or 30 shots, and on manual modes (I mainly use AV-mode) maybe every 50 or 80 shots, so it is not a big problem, but I cannot trust that the camera will work, when I need it.

Does anybody know anything about such an issue? If yes, is there anything I can try to do myself, to fix it. The camera is too old be sent in for repair I think.

Hans-Christian

04-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Does this follow a long exposure?
04-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe reloading the same firmware will be helpful...
04-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hi.

John X:. As far as I can make out, the exposure does not make a difference.
vjacesslav: I don't know. I didn't even know that there is something called firmware...=). Is that it easy to do? If yes, how do I do it?

04-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello Hans... Here it is:
Downloads & Literature - RICOH Imaging
04-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #6

what about battery ? i sometimes experienced this when using third party battery or old battery
04-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #7

Original Poster
Well, I have two batterys. One original, and one third party. Both are not new, but still deliver many hours of taking pictures, so I think they are OK. And the problem happens when the batterys are fully charged. It would surprise me if this is the problem, but at the same time, it would be easy ti fix. I will try them out tomorrow, and see if there is any difference if I use the one or the other.