Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #1

K-30 Auto aperture not working

Whenever I take a picture it is grossly underexposed. Basically black. The only way I can get the camera to take a photo is to put my lens in manual aperture and treat it like go fully manual. This is with both my FA50 and Sigma 17-70. Any suggestions? If I watch the aperture on my FA50 it appears to completely close when the camera is set to control it.

04-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you post some sample pics with the EXIF intact? Just click on "manage attachments" and select one or two files straight from your SD card.

Have you tried cleaning the lens contacts? Also, is the aperture ring set to "A"?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
I'll try that when I get home. Thanks for the suggestions.
04-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
I've attached a file with full EXIF data for an underexposed photo.

I double checked to make sure my lens wasn't set to manual aperture. When I switch to a manual aperture setting the camera recognizes the switch and the aperture designation on the camera display defaults to "--". Also, photos taken with manual aperture settings come out as expected.

I cleaned the contacts on both the lens and camera before taking the photos. I used alcohol and a q-tip. If I need to try something else please let me know.

I also updated the firmware from V1.0 to the latest V1.06.

Another thing I noticed. If I put the camera into Live View mode, the aperture will close all the way down and stay there no matter what aperture I set it at.

This was an intermittent problem for a couple days. At first, switching to Auto mode and taking a photo would fix the problem for all other modes. I also noticed that opening and closing the flash seemed to help sometimes. Both of these could have been coincidence however. Nothing seems to help now.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Full EXIF of Underexposed Photo.pdf (87.5 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by tylerherring; 04-03-2014 at 06:31 AM.
04-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Battery problems?
04-03-2014, 03:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have a look at this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/229...ml#post2760880, it seems you might have the same problem, if so, aperture motor failure...
04-03-2014, 06:33 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the help guys. I recharged my battery overnight and no change. I've read through the liked thread and that is probably what I'm up against. Less than 5000 shutter count. I am very disappointed if my aperture motor is broken already.