Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #1

Old Pentax Telescope

I really didn't know where to post this on this site. I recently acquired an old Pentax 75 EDHF telescope from someone who neglected it and stored it in a moist environment. The rear field flattener lens had fungus, but luckily it wiped off and hadn't etched the glass. Using a flashlight, I can see a few small spots on the back of the objective lens. I'm just looking for a company that may be able to clean it.

Thanks

04-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That scope is worth about $1000 - so you're very lucky! (If you were to buy an equivalent new). Pentax were high end - even their small scopes. Not a supermarket telescope by any measure. Did it come with any eyepieces???

Hopefully just dust, not fungus. If it's dust, then it's very unlikely that those spots will affect what you can see. If you look at any lens with a bright torch, even a brand new camera lens, they will have little dust spots inside. It can't be avoided, unless you're keeping your equipment stored in nitrogen, like NASA does for satellites before they're launched.
04-02-2014, 10:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
I actually use to own one of these years ago and sold it. This scope definitely had fungus on the rear lens, but I'm not sure of what might be on the back of the objective lens. The scope actually unscrews in the middle, but the lens is still a little out of reach to wipe. It came with the mount, eyepieces, and diagonal and I only paid $20 for it! I spent a lot of time cleaning it up though, luckily the only rust was on the counter weight that was stored separately. I'm hoping there may be a place that cleans telescopes internally. I messaged Pentax to see what they have to say. Here's some photos of it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
04-02-2014, 11:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Wow. Nice tripod and mount too!

04-03-2014, 12:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter

"A few small spots". Ignore them and enjoy the telescope!
cheers
bb2
04-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachboy2 Quote
"A few small spots". Ignore them and enjoy the telescope!
cheers
bb2
I'd like to enjoy it, but I want to use it for astrophotography. It's causing ghosting around stars in it's current state.
04-03-2014, 07:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might check with Eric to see if this is something he could do. Home

Might be out of what he normally does but worth asking.
04-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks jatrax! I have found two places online that clean telescope optics and actually recoat them too.