Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
Site Supporter

When to use: Exposure locked when focus is locked? Concerts?

For some reason this keeps poping up in my head and I was hoping you all may have some thoughts.

The feature to have AE lock when AF is locked seems like a useful tool for concert photography that I do.

Case 1:
Small bar venue, primarily red lights on artists, some random white and other colored light strands in back, very little change maybe between song or two. Given the constant light source with center point spot metering and Single focus on Av mode would I get more direct readings to be more useful for when I go manual?

Case 2:
If the light was changing often, like a decently produced active light show would this hurt me? or help me? I can see it going both ways.

Thanks for any help or thoughts.

K-5iis
55 1.4
50-135 2.8
10mm 3.5

04-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've recently shot a rock concert. Cramped space, high contrast lighting. Maybe the first time I tried and used this AE+AF locking to the full extent. Very useful I think.

04-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use this all day erry day. Just note that it also works in the video mode.
04-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I use this all day erry day. Just note that it also works in the video mode.
So in other words, this is your standard setting- you always have the exposure locked when you lock the focus? How does that improve things? I am trying to understand when you might not do that.
Thanks.

04-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hman Quote
So in other words, this is your standard setting- you always have the exposure locked when you lock the focus? How does that improve things? I am trying to understand when you might not do that.
Thanks.
I just need to add that I also use the Matrix Metering setting that adds more weight to the selected AF point*. I use the setting because I usually AF on things I'm taking the picture of, so it makes sense to lock exposure when the AF locks. This also helps with focus/recompose.
Cases when the locked exposure is wrong are pretty rare and I just compensate.

*You know what I'd love to have? True spot metering on the selected AF point, like my D5000 had.
04-09-2014, 05:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I just need to add that I also use the Matrix Metering setting that adds more weight to the selected AF point*. I use the setting because I usually AF on things I'm taking the picture of, so it makes sense to lock exposure when the AF locks. This also helps with focus/recompose.
Cases when the locked exposure is wrong are pretty rare and I just compensate.

*You know what I'd love to have? True spot metering on the selected AF point, like my D5000 had.
Thanks for the quick response. Makes sense to me.
04-09-2014, 06:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do this all the time for my live music work. I tend to use centre point AF and AE, then recompose if necessary, so it works OK for me. I also shoot RAW always, so a slightly botched exposure is perhaps more easily rescued.
I would rather concentrate on capturing the moment than fiddle with selecting AF points when the action is on.
04-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hman Quote
Thanks for the quick response. Makes sense to me.
hahahahaha I didn't even have the "Link AE to AF point" turned ON. Turns out I didn't change the setting after I reset the custom functions a while ago .
Things just keep getting better and better!