Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #1

Problems with my SD card

Good evening,

Well, this is the second time that I face a problem with my SD card, it sometimes says: "picture not saved" or "SD card error" or even "No image" while I have just taken some photos with my K20D

This is the 2nd time that I change the SD card, I don't know if it's a problem coming from it or from the camera!!

Any idea??

Thank you.

Ibtissam.

04-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

What brand Sd card?
04-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
First Kingston and now Verbatim
04-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you format the card in camera? Do you delete images from the card in a computer or just in the camera? I have found that not deleting images except by reformatting the card works best. I wonder too if the card contacts are dirty and not getting good connection. Just my two cents.

04-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't believe either of those work very well with Pentax dslrs......Try Sandisk, Transend, Panasonic or Toshiba. With the exception of the Transend the others have been tested as compatable with your K20. I have Transend and have no problems with them on either of my cameras.

+1 on wtlwdwgn not using delete.
04-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
Do you format the card in camera? Yes
Do you delete images from the card in a computer or just in the camera? Both actually.
Concerning dirt, I don't know, both of them are new.
I guess I'll try and get another brand as Oldbayrunner said, and see. Too bad I lost some good photos though

Thank you guys.

Best regards.

04-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Ibtissam Quote
Do you format the card in camera? Yes
Do you delete images from the card in a computer or just in the camera? Both actually.
Concerning dirt, I don't know, both of them are new.
I guess I'll try and get another brand as Oldbayrunner said, and see. Too bad I lost some good photos though

Thank you guys.

Best regards.

Are you running the latest firmware?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you running the latest firmware?
No Adam.
04-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Too bad I lost some good photos though

Maybe not, you may be able to use use a recovery software to retrieve them
04-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

No Adam.
Then you should try upgrading, as more often than not, the latest firmware fixes SD card compatibility issues.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #11

Original Poster
Then you should try upgrading, as more often than not, the latest firmware fixes SD card compatibility issues.
Where can I find it please? In the Pentax website?
04-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Where can I find it please? In the Pentax website?
Here's the firmware update guide:
Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Pentax Tutorial Videos - PentaxForums.com

And here's the latest firmware zip from the pentax site:
Latest K20D Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Save yourself a big headache by taking the "for macintosh" version even if you're on windows. It's just a zip file with the firmware file in it. The video will guide you through the process

Adam

04-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #13

Original Poster
Here's the firmware update guide:
Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Pentax Tutorial Videos - PentaxForums.com

And here's the latest firmware zip from the pentax site:
Latest K20D Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Save yourself a big headache by taking the "for macintosh" version even if you're on windows. It's just a zip file with the firmware file in it. The video will guide you through the process
Thank you very much Adam, I appreciate

---------- Post added 04-05-14 at 10:16 PM ----------

Thank you very much Adam, I appreciate
I did as you said Adam, but when I trun on my camera while pressing the menu button, it only displays the already existing version, and does not start upgrading what shall I do now?
04-06-2014, 04:37 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Did you make sure the .bin file unzipped to the root directory and not into a folder?
04-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Did you make sure the .bin file unzipped to the root directory and not into a folder?
No, but I tried not to delete images via the camera as wtlwdwgn said, and it works. I went out shot some photos, didn't delete any of them from the camera, and it all went well
thank you wtlwdwgn