Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2014, 07:08 PM   #1

What is this on my lens?

Hi all,

Admittedly, a very silly question.
I inherited a box of old (and perhaps somewhat useless) lenses, but I'm trying to figure out what they are and if I can adapt them to my K-x.
The thing is, though, there's a piece attached to one of the lenses that I have never seen before and I don't know how to take it off so that I can get to the actual lens.

See below: on the right, the large piece that says Hanimex. It slides up and down the lens shaft, and turning it does nothing. What is this thing?

Thanks!
Danielle

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
04-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Sounds like a built in hood, it doesn't come off.
04-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by dfeld Quote
Hi all,

Admittedly, a very silly question.
I inherited a box of old (and perhaps somewhat useless) lenses, but I'm trying to figure out what they are and if I can adapt them to my K-x.
The thing is, though, there's a piece attached to one of the lenses that I have never seen before and I don't know how to take it off so that I can get to the actual lens.

See below: on the right, the large piece that says Hanimex. It slides up and down the lens shaft, and turning it does nothing. What is this thing?

Thanks!
Danielle
As Elliot says it sounds like a lens hood that you slide out when you want the hood: the bit that says Hanimex is the lens cap though. It definitely should come off but might be stuck? It should pull straight off the hood.
04-07-2014, 12:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Danielle, its ok there aren't any silly questions, just sometimes silly answers.

As has been said before, the circular flat bit with Hanimex on it is a lens cap, if you cant find a pair of tiny buttons to press on either side of it to press in so you can pull it off, and it doesn't easily pull off, try gripping its edge and unscrewing it, there should be a filter thread that it is clinging to.

You need to take this cap off to use the lens.

The round tube like thing that slides forward is, as has been said, a lens hood, it just protects the lens from bright lights from the side being seen in the camera so the images you take look better.

A word of caution, these old lenses might look like they fit your camera, but its possible they don't.

There were many different kinds of bayonet connector made on cameras to hold lenses on, your kx has one bayonet but this lens could be some other kind, its best to have it checked out to make sure its the right kind or youll get frustrated trying to make the thing fit when it doesn't.

If its the wrong kind of lens bayonet, you might be able to buy an adapter for it, my own cost me 7 uk pounds, so it wont break the bank.

Its also a manual lens, manual lenses are wonderful, but they don't have autofocus or automatic exposure like modern lenses would have, so theyr harder to use. Theyr fun though and I think youll love them if you can get them to work.

If you know a photographer it will be worth getting her or him to help as there are a few different things to think about here.

04-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a pretty good lens shot. A lot of people can't get that right.

I vote for a screw-on lens cap.

I think the markings on the aperture ring suggest an older Canon mount. That may make the lens something of a paperweight. It looks like a 135mm f2.8.
04-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the helpful replies!
You were right on all fronts. The lens cap was jammed into a built-in hood.
Turns out it is indeed a canon mount anyway, but at least I got some practice photographing lenses