Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Splashed Coke on my K-5II

The other day I was walking around with my K-5II hanging around my neck and I decided to open a can of Coca-Cola.

Unfortunately there was some gas build up in the can so, when I opened the can, it spayed coke all over the place and some ended up on my camera.

My immediate reaction was "thank goodness my camera is water resistant", and I gave it a quick wipe with my shirt.

However, since then I have noticed that the on-off/shutter button is very difficult to rotate when switching the camera on or off, presumably due to some coke having congealed underneath the switch mechanism.

How can I fix the problem? I have tried using warm water on a cloth to try remove the gunge, but without much success. If I repeatedly switch the camera on and off, the switch loosens up and feels normal after a while, but it gets sticky later on again.

04-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Neville Quote
Splashed Coke on my K-5II
Oh no!!! I read on Facebook that Coke is used by the Navy to dissolve rust and grease from ancient ships. It will also dissolve stainless steel and cause hardening of the large gut.

Your K-5IIs is doomed!!!

You should have had a Pepsi...

Steve

(...sorry, I have no useful hints for extracting the ultimate in harmful liquids from your camera. I am soooo sorry )
04-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

My wife sprayed my K5 with sprite and I didn't find out until the next day. The on off switch is still difficult to turn but nowhere near as bad as it was. By this time I found out the sugar had got into the electronics. The major issue at first was the white balance went haywire. This has come good most of the time. However under bright light conditions I need to under expose. Washing the camera with water made no difference to the hard to move switches. The camera is quite unreliable.

In my case my camera insurance coughed up for a new camera. The distributer said my camera was beyond repairing.
04-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This might sound silly, but try giving your camera a gentle shower, then wipe it try. Any lingering water might help dissolve the sugar.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This might sound silly, but try giving your camera a gentle shower, then wipe it try. Any lingering water might help dissolve the sugar.
I tried that with mine and didn't do any further damage.
04-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Remember to put a WR lens in front so that the mount is sealed..
04-06-2014, 11:17 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You should have had a Pepsi...

Steve

(...sorry, I have no useful hints for extracting the ultimate in harmful liquids from your camera. I am soooo sorry )
I don't know about that. Pepsi has a lower pH (more acidic) than Coca Cola. And I remember my Jr High School science teacher put some raw bacon in a beaker of Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola. The bacon "cooked" in the Pepsi. But then the formulas may have changed since the late 60s.

04-07-2014, 03:07 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This worked on a sticky switch on my D-BG4.
04-07-2014, 10:39 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
This worked on a sticky switch on my D-BG4.
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96NT7-pcFVY
Thank you for the tip. It seems to have fixed the problem!
04-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh good Lord no! Don't use water, as that can still get inside and cause corrosion! You should use some kind of high concentrate isopropyl alcohol or a gentle spritz of contact cleaner.
04-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #11

The K5ii is weather sealed. A rinse with water as shown should be no problem. Mounting a WR lens might be a good idea though. Alcohol can attack many resins (plastics), adhesives, paints/lacquer (used for lettering or coatings) and lubricants.

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-12-2014 at 08:28 AM.
04-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
Oh good Lord no! Don't use water, as that can still get inside and cause corrosion! You should use some kind of high concentrate isopropyl alcohol or a gentle spritz of contact cleaner.
That would be the ideal solution if you have the Canikony camera... but for Pentax WR camera... the solution using luke warm water as demonstrated by Ex. Finn is better.
04-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Sugared water is the worst... For anything, WR or not. The problem most people encounter when trying to clean sticky stuff is that they don't use enough liquid or they don't allow enough time for the gummy sludge to dissolve.

Pour one drop of coke on your counter, let it dry for a few days and then try to take it off, only with water, without scrubbing... It will take more than a few drops or a quick spray.

You probably gummed up your seal around the switch

*(I take no responsibility for what might happen to your K5ii if you do the following)* Like any DIY stuff, there is always the risk of making the matters worse or causing some damage. The camera is WR but not 100% water tight, stuff might leak in.

What I would do, I would put the camera upside down (shutter button facing down) and get some electrical contact cleaner/degreaser and spray around the on/off switch, play with it a couple times (with camera still upside down), spray again, play again, and repeat until happy. Last fall, my niece was playing with soap bubbles in the yard (with added corn syrup for enhanced resistance) and being a kid, ended up in the house, covering everything with a sticky soapy goop, this also included my K100D. Weeks later I decided to do some macro shots and my AF/MF switch would stick, upon inspection there was a sticky soapy residue in the switch area. Doing the exact clean up I described above (took probably 20-30 spray/play routine) it worked #1. The stuff wasn't nearly as sticky as a pop (*soda) residue would be but it may be worth a try. The K100D is not WR but it wasn't nearly as expensive as a K5ii and it was my 2nd backup so I didn't care much if I broke it. However, to this day my parents are still using it without any issue.
04-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Neville, I am glad your camera is going to be okay. This is a very educational thread
with several good tips. Thanks
04-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
WR means weather "resistant", which is not the same thing as weather "proof". Water can still get inside if the camera is exposed to it long enough, if the water is under high enough pressure, or through some leak path caused by seal damage or a contaminant.

As for the alcohol, yes, it can do some of those things if you use an excessive amount and work it in. However, if you use tiny amounst sparingly, then it can clean things well without causing corrosion or buildup due to the fact it evaporates.