Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #1

Does spot metering still work with third party lenses

Hi,
I am new to Pentax and am just wondering if spot metering still works with third party lenses, as I have a Tamron 17-50mm & 70-200mm lens and I can't see any difference between any of the metering modes. Thanks

04-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Spot and center weighted work with absolutely any lens, including adapted M42. The only metering mode with any sort of limitation is matrix, which only requires a lens that reports the aperture and your Tamrons certainly do that.
04-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quite often, the subject is such that all metering modes will come up with the same answer. Spot metering is a specialized art form. It can be used for normal 18% grey subjects when the surrounding area is much brighter or darker, but my most common use for it is a modified zone system. For very bright subjects, such as a waterfall, I will meter the white water with the spot meter and add 2 stops of exposure. This retains the detail in the area I spot meter, but will keep that area way to the right side of the histogram. For a very dark subject, where I want to retain the detail in the dark areas, the system is inverted: spot meter the darkest area I want to keep detail in, and subtract two stops.
04-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Quite often, the subject is such that all metering modes will come up with the same answer. Spot metering is a specialized art form. It can be used for normal 18% grey subjects when the surrounding area is much brighter or darker, but my most common use for it is a modified zone system. For very bright subjects, such as a waterfall, I will meter the white water with the spot meter and add 2 stops of exposure. This retains the detail in the area I spot meter, but will keep that area way to the right side of the histogram. For a very dark subject, where I want to retain the detail in the dark areas, the system is inverted: spot meter the darkest area I want to keep detail in, and subtract two stops.
Thanks for sharing your flow. Spot metering only provides a solution when the problem is well understood. It can be a powerful thing when combined with manual mode and fairly cumbersome if attempted using Av, AE-L and exposure comp.

Steve

04-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Spot metering is the best way to determine exposure for flowers. You don't have to worry about over-saturating one colour.
04-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for sharing your flow. Spot metering only provides a solution when the problem is well understood. It can be a powerful thing when combined with manual mode and fairly cumbersome if attempted using Av, AE-L and exposure comp.

Steve
I only use manual exposure when spot metering. I find it awkward to use the [AE-L] button while refocusing and pressing the [AF] button because I use back button AF only.