Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Taking black pictures after got wet

My K200D got really wet (was about 15 minutes in fresh water with my 8mm and 35mm lenses)
I dryed it in rice for 3 weeks and now the camera is working and the screen is 90% original colors.
BUT, when I try to take pictures theyre all turn out black.

I tried also taking pictures with a diffrent lens and its the same..
Do you think its a fixable problem?
Maybe send it to a lab?

04-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anything is possible. You might contact CRIS and see if they will give you a quote. www.criscam.com

But I suspect the cost of repair will exceed buying a used body.
04-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK so after some cheking Ive found out that the problem is the shutter (its just not goes up)
The thing is, I dont mind buying a new camera, but do you thing I can trust the wet lenses? they seem pretty dry right now but Ive heard that wet lenes die after a few months..
04-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Unless the electronics fried immediately my concern with wet lenses would be they might grow fungus. However, if that has not started by now I doubt it will. You did the right thing by drying in rice and hopefully saved them. No way to be sure forever, but if the aperture blades and focus ring work I would think you have a good chance.

Not sure about "die after a few months" that makes no sense. Electronics either fry or recover they don't hang around for awhile and then die. The mechanical parts either develop problems or they don't, if you got things dry I think you should be good. But honestly the only way to know is try them on a different camera.

04-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
But Ive read that all the fungus and stuff can start even after a few weeks/months...
Im gonna be in Mexico soon, is there something like B&H over there? so I could check the lenses and maybe buy the K50
04-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D0ri Quote
But Ive read that all the fungus and stuff can start even after a few weeks/months...
Not really. Fungal spores are present in the air and in and on most things we touch every day. They don't grow unless ideal conditions are found which usually means dark, warm and damp. They need moisture to grow and when that is gone the fungus dies. So getting a lens wet, and leaving it damp, will often cause fungus to grow. The moisture can come from a wetting or just a severe temperature change that causes condensation inside. Either way as long as you dry the lens and keep it dry no fungus can grow.

If you live in a humid environment it might be worth the effort to make a 'dry box' which is a box or even a cabinet that has a small light bulb inside. The dry heat from the light bulb is enough to keep your stored gear dry without conscious effort on your part. Plans available on the internet.
04-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok thanks for tipping and helping!
Im on a trip right now and traveling with 4kg of rice and the camera inside it's getting pretty annoying..
I think as soon as I'll get to mexico I'll try to fix the shutter, or just buy a new one
04-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #8
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I'll try to fix the shutter
Can you observe any motion from the shutter when the camera is in B (bulb) mode? Also, is the mirror working right?

04-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
The miror is working fine but the shutter doesnt move.. And there is like an "oil stain" on it
04-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #10
Giveaway winner!

"oil stain" on it
I forget if the shutter is a sprung open mechanism, but it sounds like it is sort of glued in the closed position is lubricants were wash should from the leaf mechanism springs. If you are looking at it as a loss anyway then try holding the shutter button while in B mode and gently coax the shutter blades with a cotton swab/bud and see if you can unglue it?
04-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not sure about "die after a few months" that makes no sense. Electronics either fry or recover they don't hang around for awhile and then die.
Actually, they do. Water starts the process of corrosion, and at some point the circuit board traces can be eaten away to the point that contact is lost. Can take days or months.
04-14-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
I forget if the shutter is a sprung open mechanism, but it sounds like it is sort of glued in the closed position is lubricants were wash should from the leaf mechanism springs. If you are looking at it as a loss anyway then try holding the shutter button while in B mode and gently coax the shutter blades with a cotton swab/bud and see if you can unglue it?
Whoo whoo!! Its working!!
Thanks dude!
04-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #13
Giveaway winner!

Good to hear it is working!

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 04-15-2014 at 01:42 PM.