Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 colour issue

Okay, so I have been taking a lot of photos recently, and it's been a while.
Something I am noticing is, I am getting weird results in my photos, lines, and blotchiness(?) especially in dark colours, mostly black. I have no idea what is causing it, but I have had this issue with two lenses now, and I need to know what is going on.

I will be posting photos soon.

04-10-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let us know whether this is with jpg or RAW images, too. It can be a jpg processing issue.
04-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, this does have some post process on it, but I shoot all my photos in RAW.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't know if it shows up on the first one.

Attached Images

04-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Did you underexpose and have to pull out detail from the shadows? Also, that second one looks like the WB is off by quite a bit, and there are lines in the sky where it looks like a ton of NR was used. Try overexposing a bit, or try exposure bracketing some and see what it looks like.
04-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
According to the in camera metre, it was perfectly exposed. The second one I uploaded has no PP on it. WB I usually correct in post. You might be onto something with the NR. I'll try turning it off and seeing if that helps any. I might also play around with the saturation settings on the camera itself, maybe that'll help too. Don't have it with me right now. Haha
04-10-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And if you're shooting RAW and processing separately, you can try to lift the shadows. In Lightroom I find this very useful. Bumping exposure alone won't help the backlighting problem.

04-10-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The first looks nominal, while the second suffers from the kind of artifact I have seen with conversion to 8-bit color in the final JPEG or with JPEG conversion based on a downsized TIFF. This is a post-processing issue and is related to curve/contrast manipulation and/or resizing and subsequent editing of the resized output.

How are you doing your RAW conversion and PP? Faststone by any chance? There are two recent threads regarding artifacts similar to yours:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/256...n-problem.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/2...mpression.html

Steve

(...funny how this sort of thing clusters. It has been some time since we had questions regarding sky banding and color blocking and now three in a couple of weeks span...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-10-2014 at 09:10 AM.
04-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The first looks nominal, while the second suffers from the kind of artifact I have seen with conversion to 8-bit color in the final JPEG or with JPEG conversion based on a downsized TIFF. This is a post-processing issue and is related to curve/contrast manipulation and/or resizing and subsequent editing of the resized output.

How are you doing your RAW conversion and PP? Faststone by any chance? There are two recent threads regarding artifacts similar to yours:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/256...n-problem.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/2...mpression.html

Steve

(...funny how this sort of thing clusters. It has been some time since we had questions regarding sky banding and color blocking and now three in a couple of weeks span...)
To view my photos I am using FastStone, but to actually bring my RAW images into Photoshop I am using Bridge.

The first one I posted went through PP.
The second one did NOT.

---------- Post added 04-10-14 at 11:26 AM ----------

Steve

I had this issue about a year ago, I don't know if you saw it or not, but that was using a different lense, and on that one, it is limited to only the sky, and looks almost like Newtons rings, but are to concentric.
04-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
To view my photos I am using FastStone, but to actually bring my RAW images into Photoshop I am using Bridge.

The first one I posted went through PP.
The second one did NOT.
So the second is a screen capture from Faststone? One of the links I provided above talks about this. It is an artifact related to how Faststone generates its preview images. I believe that a fix was found.

Steve

---------- Post added 04-10-14 at 11:02 AM ----------

So the second is a screen capture from Faststone? One of the links I provided above talks about this. It is an artifact related to how Faststone generates its preview images. I believe that a fix was found.

Steve
Found it:

"set the default capture setting in Faststone to ' View in actual size - slower,' and batch convert in actual size - slower'."

Faststone is displaying an extrapolated version of the RAW thumbnail JPEG, hence the artifacts. Change the defaults to generate the preview from the RAW instead.

Steve
04-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Steve

---------- Post added 04-10-14 at 11:02 AM ----------

Found it:

"set the default capture setting in Faststone to ' View in actual size - slower,' and batch convert in actual size - slower'."

Faststone is displaying an extrapolated version of the RAW thumbnail JPEG, hence the artifacts. Change the defaults to generate the preview from the RAW instead.

Steve
Okay, that appears to have solved that issue... haha
Thanks!
04-10-2014, 02:51 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
Okay, that appears to have solved that issue... haha
Thanks!
Cool! That was easy!

Steve
04-12-2014, 07:19 AM   #13