Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #1

K1000 mirror issues

Just bought a k1000 off a local shop and while it worked great when tested, once i got home the mirror started to lock halfway up when advancing the film. Only seems to happen with a lens mounted. I have actually identified what triggers it, it's the stop-down lever which gets pushed up by the aperture arm on the lens...Can't figure out a solution...I just hope i can either get a solution or get a refund from the shop.

04-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Are you sure the lens is functioning properly?
04-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Are you sure the lens is functioning properly?
I tried on 3 different lenses with and without aperture rings. I don't think that's the fault here.
04-11-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by greek_pentaxian Quote
mirror started to lock halfway up when advancing
That sound as if your K1000 does not fully complete the cycle. When the second shutter completes the travel, a lever completes its travel and I believe tension locks the reset arm into position. This switches the mirrors armature from mirror up-fire curtain 1-sync switch to curtain 2-mirror down-unlock duality latch. Possibly, the grease on the mirror armature is all gummed up... in other words, a good CLA is needed.

04-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take the lens out of the equation. The shutter should operate just fine without one mounted. Your mirror should be down and should not move on shutter cock/film advance regardless of whether a lens is mounted or are you saying that the mirror does not return to ready if a lens is mounted?

In either case, I would just take the camera back.

Steve
04-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #6

Original Poster
I figured out that when mounting a lens the aperture release lever(the one on the mount's left side) gets pushed up slightly causing a mirror jam when cocking the camera. Anyway i found a quick and easy work around. Simply rotate the lens slightly as if unmounting it everytime the camera is cocked. I will eventually get around to fixing it but currently it's not a big issue since I always take my time and don't shoot like a machinegun on film, due to high costs. Thank you all for your replies.
04-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by greek_pentaxian Quote
I figured out that when mounting a lens the aperture release lever(the one on the mount's left side) gets pushed up slightly causing a mirror jam when cocking the camera.

Well, I hope you didn't pay much for the camera, because a fix may not be easy/cheap. The lever in question is supposed to be strongly spring-loaded and should function properly within it normal range of motion. A few degrees up or down should not make any difference. A jam of this sort indicates physical damage to the interlock mechanism for the mirror box.

You may want to note that your workaround, rotating the lens slightly in its mount, will SIGNIFICANTLY effect meter accuracy since it is the position of the aperture ring follower that biases the meter for a particular aperture setting.

Steve
04-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
My mistake, I forgot to mention that i mount the lens properly after completing the cocking motion, so no meter miscompensations