Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2014, 12:53 AM   #1

Pentax 67 ii lost frames

Hello,

im new user of Pentax 67II (bought 2nd hand)

found that only 8-9 frames exposed when using 120, and blank separator are uneven, from 1cm-3 to 4 cm....
is the camera body issue, or load film improper?

See any advice from fellows here, thanks again

---------- Post added 04-11-14 at 03:53 PM ----------

im also P67 user, no such issue

04-11-2014, 02:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
When loading the film, Did you wind the film on to line up the 'start' markers on the film?
04-11-2014, 02:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks for your msg

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
When loading the film, Did you wind the film on to line up the 'start' markers on the film?
yes i did...arrow to start, same operation as my old P67
04-11-2014, 07:10 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

P67II do have a more robust takeup clutch than the older 6x7 and 67, however, it will still wear out over heavy use. The part is a group of parts known as the Spool Shaft Plate Assembly (# O-C30). It is very possible that might be needing replacing or otherwise on the other side is the Back Tension Shaft Assembly (# O-A75) that regulates the film going to the take-up side. If it is intermittently going in and out of space, then maybe it is not the camera but instead the film spools. A slightly bent spool could bind and cause issues and this might be very evident at the middle of a roll as the film piles up on the spool and the edges cram and tighten?

04-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leisuregolfing Quote
Hello,

found that only 8-9 frames exposed when using 120, and blank separator are uneven, from 1cm-3 to 4 cm....

I don't think it is your film or your film-loading skills. When you purchase an old camera, if everything else looks perfect, the winder will be the part with the problems. Unfortunately, you can't find these problems until you run some film through the camera. Once you have bonded with the camera, you get your negatives back with doubles and blanks and spacing issues. I feel your pain.
04-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello,

Check the 645 and medium format section, people reporting this problem before, need to send to get fix, if I remember right, cost about $200+ for the fix.
04-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
P67II do have a more robust takeup clutch than the older 6x7 and 67, however, it will still wear out over heavy use. The part is a group of parts known as the Spool Shaft Plate Assembly (# O-C30). It is very possible that might be needing replacing or otherwise on the other side is the Back Tension Shaft Assembly (# O-A75) that regulates the film going to the take-up side. If it is intermittently going in and out of space, then maybe it is not the camera but instead the film spools. A slightly bent spool could bind and cause issues and this might be very evident at the middle of a roll as the film piles up on the spool and the edges cram and tighten?
Thanks for your reply
Seems repair is needed, or otherwise i tolerate 8-9 frames only in one roll of 120

---------- Post added 04-12-14 at 12:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I don't think it is your film or your film-loading skills. When you purchase an old camera, if everything else looks perfect, the winder will be the part with the problems. Unfortunately, you can't find these problems until you run some film through the camera. Once you have bonded with the camera, you get your negatives back with doubles and blanks and spacing issues. I feel your pain.
Its very upset
I use P67 for awhile, feel comfortable then intend to upgrade and further invest in 67 format

---------- Post added 04-12-14 at 12:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Check the 645 and medium format section, people reporting this problem before, need to send to get fix, if I remember right, cost about $200+ for the fix.
Noted, but worse news is i check local repair shops but they already stopped maintaining 67 II because of lack of parts.
My god....

---------- Post added 04-12-14 at 12:56 AM ----------

In addition,
Is there any possibility i can get these spare parts then local shop can help in terms labour?

A local repair here is well-known helpful, bu just the matter of spare parts
04-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #8
Giveaway winner!

In addition,
Is there any possibility i can get these spare parts then local shop can help in terms labour?

A local repair here is well-known helpful, bu just the matter of spare parts
Would you be able to find someone who could order direct from a supplier in Japan seeing as they are not that far away? Also, where is your nearest official Pentax parts supplier... as in here in the US it is in Colorado... maybe they can connect you with a source if they no longer carry them. The #27340-O-C30 is a familiar part.

04-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #9

Original Poster
Would you be able to find someone who could order direct from a supplier in Japan seeing as they are not that far away? Also, where is your nearest official Pentax parts supplier... as in here in the US it is in Colorado... maybe they can connect you with a source if they no longer carry them. The #27340-O-C30 is a familiar part.
Good idea
Do you have idea how much is that?
I shall contact the repair shop about ordering, hopefully its not the case as they told on phone that ordering of parts is no longer available...
04-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
Marketplace Reseller

Hey, I had the same issue with my 67ii (link here). I got an estimate of about $250-300 to fix. As much as I'd like to get it fixed, it will take me about 100+ rolls of film before the cost of repairs outweighs the cost of lost film (Approx. $.40/frame, $1/develop each frame... means I lose about $2.75 per roll...). If you plan on shooting a high enough volume, get it fixed, it's worth it. If you only use it every once in a blue moon, maybe it isn't worth it, you just can't forget that the last two shots are worthless.
04-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #11
Giveaway winner!

leisuregolfing,

I just realized that excessive spacing could mean that the problem is the film tension end... Do you have a repair place capable testing the pull tension of the take-up. Poor tension will cause too much film to pass as well as if the back plate is not maintaining proper pressure to the main roller that is attached to the counting cam... the gripping roller next to the take-up spool.
Sorry, I realized it when I was testing the spacing out on a test body laying around.

Otherwise,

Is it the same amount of space for all types of film... Fuji, Kodak, ADOX, black & white, color, slide and negative?

Also, check the film door if it is bent as it could cause pressure problems.
04-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks
Im also calculating this cost, and agree with you said. Esp now i still cant find any repair shop can offer the fix

Have just tried loading a roll of scrap 120. Going thru shooting 10 frames, can feel proper winder tensions till the last, the 10th frame....

If consistently losing frame to only 8-9 shots only, does it imply "the last 1-2 shot of a roll" should be assumed invalid anymore?

QuoteOriginally posted by innivus Quote
Hey, I had the same issue with my 67ii (link here). I got an estimate of about $250-300 to fix. As much as I'd like to get it fixed, it will take me about 100+ rolls of film before the cost of repairs outweighs the cost of lost film (Approx. $.40/frame, $1/develop each frame... means I lose about $2.75 per roll...). If you plan on shooting a high enough volume, get it fixed, it's worth it. If you only use it every once in a blue moon, maybe it isn't worth it, you just can't forget that the last two shots are worthless.

---------- Post added 04-14-14 at 01:39 PM ----------

Thanks again

Your question is also my doubt....

I tried Fuji negative, Kodak negative and slides... Same situation, blank separator too wide but never overlapped exposure....

leisuregolfing,

I just realized that excessive spacing could mean that the problem is the film tension end... Do you have a repair place capable testing the pull tension of the take-up. Poor tension will cause too much film to pass as well as if the back plate is not maintaining proper pressure to the main roller that is attached to the counting cam... the gripping roller next to the take-up spool.
Sorry, I realized it when I was testing the spacing out on a test body laying around.

Otherwise,

Is it the same amount of space for all types of film... Fuji, Kodak, ADOX, black & white, color, slide and negative?

Also, check the film door if it is bent as it could cause pressure problems.
04-13-2014, 11:44 PM   #13

Original Poster
Pentax local channel supplier just called and confirmed no more parts....oh
04-14-2014, 04:53 AM   #14
Giveaway winner!

..can feel proper winder tensions till the last, the 10th frame....
That is interesting... sounds like it is fight excessive tension towards the end? All the springs/rollers on the door side in good shape? Also, when the pressure plate is flipped from 120 to 220 position, any odd behaviors?
04-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #15
Marketplace Reseller

If consistently losing frame to only 8-9 shots only, does it imply "the last 1-2 shot of a roll" should be assumed invalid anymore?
That's been my experience... the roll goes through, the tension is present all the way (and the counter works, also), it just doesn't expose the shots. By my estimation its the last two shots in the roll.