Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2014, 01:28 AM   #1

reccommend me a lense

Hi, all new to the forum, could someone help me out with some recommendations for a lens.

I have a pentax kx with a sigma 18 -125 lens but am finding that I get a lot of distortion in my shots, its especially noticeable as I'm always shooting street art on brick walls.

I'm looking for a lens that is small and light with AF can be a prime or have small range .

thanks

mal

Last edited by mallakoff; 04-13-2014 at 06:05 AM.
04-11-2014, 01:40 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 "Contemporary" is fantastic if you still want a zoom:
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 Contemporary - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

As for primes, the Pentax 35mm F2.4 and 50mm F1.8 lenses deliver good image quality at a very affordable price.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-11-2014, 01:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 "Contemporary" is fantastic if you still want a zoom:
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 Contemporary - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

As for primes, the Pentax 35mm F2.4 and 50mm F1.8 lenses deliver good image quality at a very affordable price.
Thanks for the reply will check em out cheers!
04-11-2014, 02:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Bonjour!

You said you want a range? What range are you looking for - The same?

Cheers!

04-11-2014, 02:50 AM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mallakoff Quote
I'm looking for a lens that is small and light with AF can be a prime or have small range
If you want small AF lenses, you cannot go past the DA Limited 'pancake' lenses:
DA 15 mm Ltd Pentax-DA 15mm F4 Limited Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
DA 21 mm Ltd https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-da-21mm-f32/review.html & HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
DA 40 mm Ltd https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/da-35mm-40mm-limited-xs-shootout/ & HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
DA 70 mm Ltd https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/da-70mm-vs-fa-77mm-limited-comparison/introduction.html & HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

However I am very found of the older FA Limited series, among which two truly outstanding lenses IMHO:
FA 31 mm Ltd Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 Limited Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
FA 77 mm Ltd DA 70mm vs FA 77mm Limited - Comparison: Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Your budget will be an important aspect of your decision because the FA Ltd lenses are not cheap. But you cannot go wrong with any of these lenses. The DA Ltd and FA Ltd lenses are true gems for any camera across all brands. Many Canikon users envy us for the choice of outstanding, amazing primes available on Pentax mount.

Hope that the comment may help.

Last edited by hcc; 04-11-2014 at 03:26 AM.
04-11-2014, 03:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Look at the DA 16-45 f/4.
04-11-2014, 03:40 AM   #7

Original Poster
Wow thanks for all the replies...got plenty of options.
Going to have a look at all the recommendations...... Thanks

mal
04-11-2014, 03:55 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Bonjour!

You said you want a range? What range are you looking for - The same?

Cheers!
Hi there , was looking for about 18- 70mm but I have a feeling that I'll end up trying a prime....never had one so want to try it out.

thanks

mal

---------- Post added 04-11-14 at 09:04 PM ----------

Hi all, definitely like the sound of the DA 15mm F4.
Small n light for sure and the minimal distortion in this lenswould really help.

04-11-2014, 05:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would second the DA 35mm f2.4. Excellent IQ and value. If you have light room (or similar) check what focal range you use the most on your current lens. If you mostly shoot at the wide end (18mm), the 16-45 might work better for you, though the 21mm ltd is a good option as well - though more expensive,,,
04-11-2014, 06:43 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hi all , had look at many of the suggestions, thanks again .
One the other factors that will determine my choice will be minimal barrel distortion as I'm always shooting against brick wall so distortion is really obvious.

If you know of any lenses with this quality can you suggest them.

Most of the longer focal ranges will be out as I shoot large murals etc...I understand though that the wide angle tend to distort more...
That's why I'm liking the DA 15mm it has great reviews on minimal distortion.

cheers mal
04-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For photographing flat art on brick walls, nothing will beat a macro lens. They are designed to reproduce flat things extremely well with minimum distortion. If you need a wider view, get the DA35mm Limited Macro, but if you have room to back up a little, the DFA 50mm 2.8 macro is a sweet lens at a sweet price. If you have more room and more money, the DFA100 WR is a super, but the Sigma 70mm EX DG Macro may be the sharpest lens of the bunch (they are all VERY sharp, though).
04-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
For photographing flat art on brick walls, nothing will beat a macro lens. They are designed to reproduce flat things extremely well with minimum distortion. If you need a wider view, get the DA35mm Limited Macro, but if you have room to back up a little, the DFA 50mm 2.8 macro is a sweet lens at a sweet price. If you have more room and more money, the DFA100 WR is a super, but the Sigma 70mm EX DG Macro may be the sharpest lens of the bunch (they are all VERY sharp, though).
Awesome, thanks for these recommendations these sound like what I need ,I'll check 'em out, thanks
04-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Adobe software has a correction profile for your Sigma 18-125. You might try downloading a trial version of Lightroom to see if it will correct old shots well enough. Software is cheaper than most lenses, though of course it won't make your lens smaller or lighter.
04-11-2014, 10:20 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Adobe software has a correction profile for your Sigma 18-125. You might try downloading a trial version of Lightroom to see if it will correct old shots well enough. Software is cheaper than most lenses, though of course it won't make your lens smaller or lighter.
Hi, funny you mention Photoshop as I was just looking at it this morning for the same reason you suggested,cheers.

Last edited by mallakoff; 04-13-2014 at 06:05 AM.
04-12-2014, 02:15 AM   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mallakoff Quote
Hi, funny you mention Photoshop as I was just looking at it this morning for the same reason you suggested. I'll give it a look ,cheers.
Have a look at DxO Optics Pro too. If your lens/camera combination is covered (check on their web site) it does a fine job of fixing distortion (and noise and lots of other things).