Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K5 + Samyang 85/1.4 Impossible to find focus at f/1.4 Focusing aid needed?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

It's a great lens and I think everyone should have this as this lens really is a steal. I suppose everyone with Samyang 85/1.4 experienced this, it's (almost) impossible to find focus at f/1.4 -LV will help, but is there another solution to this?

04-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the same lens and am using a focusing screen from focusingscreen.com with my K-30. I find this solution to be the best and most practical.

LV can overall give better precision, but I find this method to be too slow, especially when doing candid shots.
04-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi!

Have you tried this: PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53

I have 2, 1 on my K-5, and 1 on my K-3. I think it's making it easier to focus manually, YMMV.

Catch-in-focus is also an alternative for manual lenses.
04-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't have that specific lens, but manual focus with fast lenses is often an issue with modern DSLRs, because the viewfinder is pretty small. Here are general tips:
- Focus screen. Plenty of choices, matte and split prism, with or without markings, different brands (JinFinance, KatzEye, focusingscreen.com, cheap Chinese knockoffs). Must verify if it fits your camera.
- Viewfinder loupe / enlarger. Lots of people like this, but it might be inconvenient or hide some info. I think a liked brand is Seagull or something like that. Pentax also makes an official one. Must verify if it fits your camera.
- Catch in focus. Its a nifty Pentax DSLR function, read up on it. It gives pseudo-AF to manual-focus lenses. Works with centre point, there might be a hack to make it work with other points, but Im not sure.
- Live view and focus peaking and digital zoom. Not perfect, but can be helpful. The digital zoom is important, since it keeps the lens wide open (live view usually stops it down), focus peaking is a nice aid. Of course, live view has its drawbacks.

04-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
yup. it would be very difficult. i use this:

Tenpa 1 36x Magnifying Viewfinder Eyepiece Eye Cup for Pentax K 7 K M K x K R | eBay

Together with the focusing screen 's type' from Focusing Screen and never have any trouble with 1.2 and 1.4 lens.
04-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a Samyang 16mm and have found focus confirmation (beep), while using the viewfinder, is accurate only when turning the focus ring from close to distant, not the other way.

When using live-view, repeatedly pressing the "info" button gives you several magnifications to make focusing easier.
04-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't have the Samyang, but I have a Tak50/1.4 that I shoot wide open all the time. What I do sometimes is put the shutter in burst mode, get close to focus, and fire away while slowly moving the focus ring. I'll shoot 6 or 8 shots, one of them is usually the one I want, I throw the others out. It's usually faster than actually trying to focus!