Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #1

blown out pictures and lens issue

So I have a Pentax K-x which I've had for several years and I'm using the lens kit. At some point last year I developed 2 problems and I don't know how to fix either one. I've tried reading the manual and I'm still confused. The first problem is that whenever I'm outside all of my pictures are really blown out, I can be in a dark setting with relatively poor lighting and they're fine. So I need to know how to fix that problem. Secondly whenever I take pictures I cannot zoom in or out to take a picture, I have to leave my lens set on 18mm otherwise nothing happens, my camera will just refuse to pictures. Help appreciated!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
04-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think the aperture mechanism on your lens is not closing down. Try cleaning the contacts on your lens and camera body
04-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks like the lens is broken. The aperture isn't stopping down correctly and, based off the bad edge distortion, it looks like an internal lens element is loose. Did the lens get dropped?
04-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree with the above, the lens is damaged in some manner. Dropped or bumped. You can try cleaning the contacts first, but I suspect you need to have it repaired or replaced.

The blown out pictures are caused by the aperture mechanism not working. The camera thinks the lens is going to stop down to f/11 in that shot, but in reality the lens stayed wide open thus letting in far too much light.

I just sent my DFA 100mm macro in for repair for a similar problem. The aperture worked, but slowly which caused about a 2 stop over-exposure on each shot. Just got it back and all is good now.

As a test, take off the lens look at the back of it and find the aperture lever. Looking into the lens the aperture blades should be closed. Move the aperture level to the stop and let go, the blades should open and then when you let go they should snap very quickly back closed. If that is not happening then the lens is damaged.

04-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you have a second lens then mount it and see what you get. Do you have a local camera shop where you could try this?
04-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Easy to pick up another kit lens on auction sites for a minimal price (30/$50 or less) Cheaper than a repair for sure!