Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Lens cleaning

Hi,
I was wondering how does everyone clean their lenses? Can you use a the same lens cleaner that you would use for reading glasses?

04-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome,

This may start a religious war.

No. Don't use eyeglass cleaners.

1) use a blower to blow of the dust and fine particles
2) use a soft brush to gently brush away remaining fine particles
3) wet a portion of a microfiber lens cleaning cloth or a camera lens cleaning tissue
4) gently, starting from the center, in a circular motion, gently and softly wipe the lens

Lens can be fairly dirty and still take good pictures. You may not need to clean your lens as often as you think.

Ga to a real camera store to buy the cleaning supplies and have one of the employees show you.
04-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by New 2 This Quote
Lens cleaning
When they get really bad, which I hasten to add is not all that often... I use Solution 30 Lens Cleaner, which as it says on the tin is for plastic and glass opthalmic lenses, also suitable for cleaning camera and optical instrument lenses.

It is distributed here by Carl Zeiss Vision UK Ltd, who know a thing or two about lenses, so they have my trust.
04-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Giotto Rocket Blower. If you absolutely MUST clean smudges, use peck pads + zeiss cleaning solutions. wear disposable rubber gloves. a tiny finger contact with the glass may leave you worse off than when you started. nothing irritates me more than oily smudges on my front element!

04-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Most of the time just some moisture from your breath is all you need, and a soft cloth, microfiber cloth or lens cleaning tissue. I rarely have to use anything else, when I do I usually use acetone. That's about once every 10 years or so...Probably 90% of the time just a quick wipe with a microfiber cloth is all I need, usually to remove a little dust.

Note - If you use kleenex, DO NOT use the type with lotion or aloe. Non lotion kleenex will work, paper towels, toilet tissue, a clean soft t-shirt...but normally I make sure I carry a microfiber cloth or three for lens and glasses cleaning. Lens cleaner fluid of any type is extremely rare, 99% of the time if I need more than just a cloth, moisture from my breath works fine. It's not likely to get enough moisture inside the lens to make a difference, I've been doing it for 30 years and never have had any condensation inside a lens. Even after carrying it in heavy fog...
04-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

I can recommend this article:
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/05/the-lensrentals-lens-cleaning-methods
which gives some good insights of professional cleaning.

See also https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/257569-lens...g-methods.html
04-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I avoid cleaning the front element unless it's super gunky and is affecting IQ. Most of the time a slightly dirty front element has very effect on the image. It's the glass deeper inside that does the majority of the focusing work, I think.

A lot of times cleaning the front element amounts to nothing more than smearing the gunk thin enough that you can't see it. Puff on the lens after you clean it and check for swirl marks. You may be surprised!
04-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by New 2 This Quote
Hi,
I was wondering how does everyone clean their lenses? Can you use a the same lens cleaner that you would use for reading glasses?
I clean my lenses with a rocket blower, then the brush from a "lens pen", and if I see a lot of smudges I will use the pad part of the lens pen. It's been a long time since I've done a wet cleaning with fluid.

If the lens gets wet, I minimize water spots and fungus risk by drying it before putting it away. A clean microfiber cloth is good but in a bind a paper tissue will do. Pat dry rather than rubbing so you won't scratch the glass.

Protect the lens so you don't have to clean it as often. Hoods help keep dirt, water splashes, and fingerprints away from the glass.

Don't clean too often. Spots on the front of the lens aren't noticeable in the final photo. There's a blog article where the author does extreme testing, including shattering the front element to show how some dirt on the glass isn't a problem.