Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #1

Photos Are Being Deleted From SD Card After Transferring To Computer

Lately, every time that I transfer my photos from the SD card to my Mac Book Pro, the photos get deleted even though I click the "keep photos" option at the end. Does anyone know what the heck is going on here?

Last edited by monoloco; 04-15-2014 at 08:19 AM.
04-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In use Windows PC's, but in my OS 'Save Photos' means Save to Folder on PC hard drive. There's another Yes/No setting for 'Delete from Card After Transfer' - maybe you have that checked Yes.
04-15-2014, 08:19 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In use Windows PC's, but in my OS 'Save Photos' means Save to Folder on PC hard drive. There's another Yes/No setting for 'Delete from Card After Transfer' - maybe you have that checked Yes.
After I import the photos into iPhoto there is a box that comes up asking if you want to delete the photos from the card or keep them, always in the past when I would click "Keep photos"" they would be retained on the SD card, but lately they have been getting deleted even when I click "Keep photos".
04-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I haven't used iPhoto in a long while, but I recall that the Image Capture application would govern behavior when a card was inserted into the computer. So, I'd start there. You can also lock your card with the tab to prevent it from being erased.

M

04-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I haven't used iPhoto in a long while, but I recall that the Image Capture application would govern behavior when a card was inserted into the computer. So, I'd start there. You can also lock your card with the tab to prevent it from being erased.

M
Would the computer still be able to read the card to import the photos if it's locked?
04-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monoloco Quote
Would the computer still be able to read the card to import the photos if it's locked?
Yes, the lock tab makes the card "read-only" (write protected). Just remember to "unlock" the card before putting it back in your camera after transferring your photos.
04-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter

If you are using OSX Mavericks with an External WD (Western Digital) backup drive and have WD's Smart Drive software installed on your Mac there is a known problem between the two where one or other of them keeps deleting backups, sd cards etc. So far it has completely wiped my TimeMachine backup, another external drive and several SD cards. The first sign is the name of the drive or SD card has been changed and then it appears empty. The data has not been removed you just can't see it and you need a software recovery program to recover detail from the card. With HDD external drives it gets a bit complicated and I found the easiest way for me was to backup everything again. Deletion of the WD software at this time is recommended. See MacTalk on dpreview thread "A Most Unfriendly Thing"

CD