Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As mentioned, personal preference can go either way. I got rid of all split screens (in cameras where I had a choice) over the last 50 years, as I originally learned to focus on plain ground glass, and for me that's still the way to judge sharpness. The S screen in my K-5 is better than the stock screen, but with the tiny, tunnel viewfinder is still NOT a pleasure. I still shoot my MX/LX more than K-5, even with the waits for film.
Curious: even though I don't like split-image in an SLR finder, I use Leica M rangefinders more than SLRs, and love the rangefinder split/double image. Perhaps that's because I generally use wide angles on the Rangefinders and short teles on the SLRs.

04-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
but with the tiny, tunnel viewfinder is still NOT a pleasure.
Double+ to that thought.

0.95x magnification of APS-C is essentially 0.95x of nothing. It is still too teeny for serious work and the same magnification for 35mm is only adequate.

In regards to rangefinders...I believe every serious photographer should experience decoupling the act of acquiring focus from the act of framing the subject at some point in their career. Sometimes I even think that a wire frame sport finder is preferable to insulating one's eye in the dark closet of the SLR viewfinder.

Steve
06-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bad news. Despite a favorable first couple of weeks with the S type screen, I had to remove it from the camera due to severe exposure metering problems. Details on this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/265003-pentax-k-3-compatib...us-screen.html

Steve
06-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #19
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
katz eye or focusingscreen.com
I've the Katzeye on all my cameras, for me an essential as I only use fast manual glass.

I will admit that I've not tried the others, I've just stuck with what I know that works for me.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 06-08-2014 at 12:14 PM.
06-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Bad news. Despite a favorable first couple of weeks with the S type screen, I had to remove it from the camera due to severe exposure metering problems. Details on this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/265003-pentax-k-3-compatib...us-screen.html

Steve
I have taken mine off too for now. I really miss it for focusing though.