Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2014, 11:51 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
That Curium photo came out really nice, considering the difficulty of the location. I'd say CP and a windy day are a must (to get rid of glare and dust/mist). Also, the dynamic range and saturation are great; was there much PP (or HDR) involved?
thanks man.no HDR in any one of the pics. I did do a fair bit of PP however . not a big fan of the HDR look, maybe its because i cant get the hang of it properly. I like it when its really subtle, otherwise it looks more like a painting instead of a picture.

05-01-2014, 06:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
i believe the sigma 10mm is 1.5-2 times more expensive than the pentax 10-17. if you are between those 2 i'd go with the pentax not only for the price but for its versatility. The sigma might be faster focusing but IQ difference is insignificant between the two. I was in the same boat as you but funds were limited and ended up with the samyang 8mm not too long ago. you also have that option if you want something cheaper. its a great lens in my opinion. heres some of my shots i took recently :
I can get the Pentax 10-17 for AUD $529 free postage, and Sigma 10mm 2.8 for $579 with free postage from the same online store - Ebay DCexpert in Australia. I bought my 10-20mm from them, it arrived two days later.

There's a $50 difference - what would you do ?
05-01-2014, 06:48 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax vs Sigma

I have the Pentax but not the Sigma, so cannot compare the two. However, I will say a few words in favor of the Pentax. I have found it to be sharp and quite versatile. You get both a fisheye with its interesting effects as well as a moderately good wide angle. If you hold the lens right at the 17 mm end, you can almost lose any distortion and use it as a true wide angle, but not of course as good as a true wide angle like say the 21 limited.
05-01-2014, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
I also had a concern about CA's at the corners - any thoughts ?
The DA 10-17 is the worst fringing lens I have ever used. It may be the worst such lens currently available. Indeed, when it comes to measurable numerical specs, the DA 10-17 isn't at all impressive, as the photozone tests of the Tokina version demonstrate. The lens was designed by Jun Hirakawa (who also designed the FA 43 and FA 77), who once claimed he designed lenses to achieve aesthetic goals, rather than numerical spec targets. The DA 10-17 is the preeminent example of a lens that performs poorly on tests but delivers in terms of the aesthetics of human perception. Yes, it fringes quite a bit; but the fringes usually clean pretty easy in post. And yes, other fisheye lenses, like the sigma, are sharper. But the DA 10-17 is sharp enough and produces stunning images. And it has the best flare control of any zoom lens I've ever used.

05-01-2014, 07:27 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I can get the Pentax 10-17 for AUD $529 free postage, and Sigma 10mm 2.8 for $579 with free postage from the same online store - Ebay DCexpert in Australia. I bought my 10-20mm from them, it arrived two days later.

There's a $50 difference - what would you do ?
50 bucks ain't nothing.if u haven't got anything to cover you at the 17mm go for the Pentax,that way you have a true wide angle as well as a fish eye, otherwise go for the sigma. Especially if u plan to use it a lot in low light.the quicker AF and extra stop will come in handy
05-01-2014, 07:36 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
nice shots everyone!
I've used the DA10-17 for years and not nearly as much lately...gotta put it in the bag again after being inspired here.

last one I took was in a wine cave in Napa:

those two corridors are at 90 degree angles

Last edited by mikeSF; 05-01-2014 at 12:17 PM.
05-02-2014, 01:47 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
The DA 10-17 is the worst fringing lens I have ever used. It may be the worst such lens currently available. Indeed, when it comes to measurable numerical specs, the DA 10-17 isn't at all impressive, as the photozone tests of the Tokina version demonstrate. The lens was designed by Jun Hirakawa (who also designed the FA 43 and FA 77), who once claimed he designed lenses to achieve aesthetic goals, rather than numerical spec targets. The DA 10-17 is the preeminent example of a lens that performs poorly on tests but delivers in terms of the aesthetics of human perception. Yes, it fringes quite a bit; but the fringes usually clean pretty easy in post. And yes, other fisheye lenses, like the sigma, are sharper. But the DA 10-17 is sharp enough and produces stunning images. And it has the best flare control of any zoom lens I've ever used.
Thanks Greg, I did not know that about the lens. You described some of things which I thought I could see in images I've seen on Flickr and this forum.

05-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #23
Veteran Member

You described some of things which I thought I could see in images I've seen on Flickr and this forum.
The DA10-17 is not that bad - as a fisheye. But the Samyang 8mm is a better fisheye. The problem is when you try using the DA10-17 on the 17mm end. It is not all that sharp and there is a fair amount of fringing and distortion. Actually the kit DA18-55 is better at 18mm than the DA10-17 at 17mm.
05-06-2014, 12:16 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
The DA10-17 is not that bad - as a fisheye. But the Samyang 8mm is a better fisheye. The problem is when you try using the DA10-17 on the 17mm end. It is not all that sharp and there is a fair amount of fringing and distortion. Actually the kit DA18-55 is better at 18mm than the DA10-17 at 17mm.
It's ironic, I suppose. I shoot with primes more often. I generally don't need a zoom.

But when it comes to fisheye, I suddenly think the zoom of the DA10-17 is a huge advantage. I guess that's because being able to control the amount of fisheye distortion is a huge part of the process - you're not just changing the angle of view.

I suppose it's also because (to me) the concept of wanting the technically sharpest image when you have all that fisheye distortion seems absurd (or at least unnecessary). I'm sure there's a use case (there nearly always is), but I just don't see it.
05-06-2014, 01:23 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

I love the DA 10-17mm because of its versatility. The occasions on which we can use fisheyes are sparse. However, the focal range of the DA causes it to be used much more often. Then there's the very close focussing distance, which is another unique feature amongst fisheye lenses. Getting very close to your subject plus the fisheye effect creates some very special images. Funny that it is never mentioned.

So, I don't really see how that little extra light and extra sharpness of the Sigma wheigh up against that. But everybodies preferences are different of course.