Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #1

Moire in view finder only and fuzzy look through view finder

Hi - I'm VERY new to DSLR's i got my first one a couple of months ago and have been take pictures pretty much every day. I am slowly muddling my way through all the things I have to learn but I have a couple of questions which I was hoping to get some help with

As of yesterday I started noticing what looks like a spider web pattern when I look through the view finder - I thought it was moire (I have a K5 IIs) and snapped a few pictures because I was curious- but the effect does not show up in the pictures, only when I look through the lens. I googled this and the article I looked at said I am probably viewing the laser etched glass focusing screen....ok but....

My question is why am I only seeing this now? I have not changed my lens (I only have one) I have not changed where I am shooting. It is really distracting - sometimes it only comes up in certain areas of the view finders sometimes it basically covers the whole viewfinder. It is driving me crazy Is there anyway I can get rid of it? Minimize it?

Also at the same time I noticed the view through the view finder looks hazy- sort of dark - honestly it wasn't like this before. I read a bit about this on the forum and it seems this is normal but it seems odd to me that the haze and the moire like pattern turn up the same time. I have played with the Diopter and it hasn't improved things. So it is probably normal.

Thanks everyone - looking forward to your responses !

04-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Indy78 Quote
As of yesterday I started noticing what looks like a spider web pattern when I look through the view finder - I thought it was moire (I have a K5 IIs) and snapped a few pictures because I was curious- but the effect does not show up in the pictures, only when I look through the lens. I googled this and the article I looked at said I am probably viewing the laser etched glass focusing screen....ok but....
That's just how the focusing screen is made. The grooves are more easily visible in low light and at very small apertures (F5.6-8), so it also depends on what lens you're using and how far it's zoomed in.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your response Adam most appreciated. I do understand what you are saying....

But I get this effect ALL the time. I took pictures outside, in daylight, f 22, shutter speed 100, I did not zoom on anything and it was still there. I find it so odd because it has just appeared and will not go away no matter where I use my camera or the settings I use.

Could I have done something to cause it?

I have a Tamron 18-200mm

Thanks

Last edited by Indy78; 04-17-2014 at 10:26 PM. Reason: additional information
04-17-2014, 11:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Normal. Thing is, now that you've noticed it, you're seeing all the time. One of those things in life that you can't 'un know' once you know.

04-17-2014, 11:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks steve.....i guess i better start getting used to it then
04-18-2014, 12:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fuzzyness, darkness and distraction, yup sounds exactly the way I remember such viewfinders.
04-18-2014, 01:47 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hi Clavius... do you mean the k5's viewfinders are known for this?

04-18-2014, 01:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Indy78 Quote
Hi Clavius... do you mean the k5's viewfinders are known for this?
The K5's viewfinder is actually quite good for its type. I'm personally not that big of a fan of optical viewfinders for exactly the reasons you describe.
04-18-2014, 02:27 AM   #9

Original Poster
ah I see what you were saying now
04-18-2014, 04:05 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just remember, the viewfinder is somewhat like a car windshield, look through it at the image not at it
04-18-2014, 04:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Just remember, the viewfinder is somewhat like a car windshield, look through it at the image not at it
That's actually a very good analogy. Because I had the same troubles with the windshield of my Ford. It had heating in it, but I could see the sublte grid very well. And it distracted me a lot! I had to really concentrate on looking through it, not at it. Same goes for the fuzzy focussing screen. Everybody is different.
04-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks Lowell - that is a good way of approaching the viewfinder
06-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I noticed this right away in the store when I looked through the K50 and the K5ii. Honestly the nicest viewfinders to look through to me are the Nikons. I just about didn't buy the K5ii because of this. The pictures are stellar but I can hardly stand looking through the view finder, it's like looking through a screen window.
06-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also make sure the diopter is adjusted correctly, and some glasses can make the screen look more moireish. Polarized glasses in particular do wonky things with all those mirrors and prisms...