Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #1

Brand new to my DSLR...my first dumb K-50 question

My first question....many more to come.

I tried to find this in the manual and in the forums with no luck. On my K-50 why do the settings on the status page, aperture, shutter speed, etc, flash?
I told you it was a dumb question!

Thanks guys!

04-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flashing usually means exposure is out of bounds.

Like when the lens cap is on or the iso is very high and light is bright.

Hope that helps.
04-20-2014, 05:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
Well, the thing is that it does it constantly. I'm usually in Av, and I've taken pictures that were fine....still flashing. in Auto...still flashing.
04-20-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Which ever parameter is flashing, it is telling you that the camera is not able to adjust that parameter to a value in order to achieve proper exposure. For example, if it is too bright outside, and you set the aperture wide-open with a high ISO, it is going to hit the upper limit on the shutter speed (1/8000) to obtain proper exposure; hence the shutter speed value will flash on the status screen.

04-20-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I believe it'll also flash if the shutter speed is lower than the camera thinks it can be held without shake.
04-20-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The correct term is 'Blinks'..
'Flash' in camera terminology means, well...The Flash

So, you can check the PDF manual and perform a search for the word 'Blinks' and you will find out all there is to know re your question.
04-21-2014, 04:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Find the reset option. Set it back to factory defaults. If you're using Av mode, set aperture to f8, ISO to 200 or 400. Step outside in decent light.

Is it still blinking? It shouldn't. (Check to be sure the lens cap is off) At factory default settings, f8, no changes made except for setting it to manual instead of auto "floating" ISO it shouldn't blink. If it does, something is wrong. Then make note of any changes you make in the menu. Write down any changes. At any point if it starts to blink again, you know what setting change caused it, if that's what is happening. If you do like to use auto ISO, set it to a fairly narrow range.

In other words, start from scratch, then keep note of any changes. If it starts again, the last change you made is most likely the problem.

04-21-2014, 04:20 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
The correct term is 'Blinks'..
'Flash' in camera terminology means, well...The Flash

So, you can check the PDF manual and perform a search for the word 'Blinks' and you will find out all there is to know re your question.
The original question has been asked several times on the forum.

I have checked the manual several times (just spent 45 minutes looking through the K50 manual) and I can't find anything other than what I mentioned below.

I can find info on why the shutter info blinks(slow shutter speed noise reduction implemented) and the flash (open flash) but nothing else regarding everything blinking.

Short of having the lens cap on I can't intentionally recreate the blinking.

IMO, it has to have something to do with exposure, maybe a warning that proper exposure (determined by the camera) can't be achieved. Which may be why even though all is blinking the shot may still come out alright.

04-21-2014, 04:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Blinking ..... eye's blink ! Lights flash, and when you flick the indicator switch in your car, the indicator lights flash (not blinkers). Who wrote that manual Lord Cuffington the third ! lol
04-24-2014, 05:49 AM   #10
Forum Member

hello everyone
i have just bought k 30. would like some advice on how to take pictures with the subject moving around. what should be the settings for taking pictures of moving subject like kids or pets in auto and manuual mode.
04-24-2014, 06:32 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mehulmandan Quote
hello everyone
i have just bought k 30. would like some advice on how to take pictures with the subject moving around. what should be the settings for taking pictures of moving subject like kids or pets in auto and manuual mode.
It varies depending on the lens, subjects distance, movement direction of the subject and effect you want to create....

good reading;

Using Camera Shutter Speed Creatively

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 04-24-2014 at 06:39 AM.
04-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #12
Forum Member

i am basically interested in freezing the movement. i have 18-135mm lens. Distance would be few meters in backyard or so
04-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mehulmandan Quote
i am basically interested in freezing the movement.
To freeze movement you need a fast shutter speed. (Flash can also freeze movement but I think that is another discussion)

Here is a chart I found that might help: Stop Motion Chart - Worth1000 Discussions Everyone has different opinions on exactly what speed is needed for various things but that should give you a guide line.