Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #1

K5 issue

My trusty and much loved K5 seems to be developing what I think might be a wear issue. I'd be interested in hearing if I'm the only one it's happened to, and if there is a solution.

The problem appears as a flashing on the LCD in areas such as Time, Manual focus/Auto focus and focus pattern (all together). It wanders through different numbers looking like it can't settle on any particular combination.

It'll happen on different lenses and with different cards.
The only way it stops is by giving the lens a slight twist anti-clockwise (when viewed from the back). Nudging it clockwise brings back the flashing.There's no play, or slop, in the bayonet fitting that I can feel but I'm thinking there must be some connection that is right on the limit.

So... any clues?
Camera is 3 years old but well cared for and working fine in every other respect.

04-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried cleaning the lens contacts? It could just be a connection issue.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have you tried cleaning the lens contacts? It could just be a connection issue.
A good suggestion Adam but yes, I clean regularly.
I'm using Servisol Electronic Cleaning Agent sprayed onto cotton buds, wiping over the camera and lenses where they connect. I don't think this is the problem (but I could be wrong).
I did forget to mention that the Auto focus is also affected by this problem - works when you tweak it anti clockwise and stops when you tweak the other way. Tested it on a few lenses with the same result.
Thanks again for the suggestion.
04-20-2014, 11:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like service issue, something inside has ether come loose or is busy failing