Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
That may be one reason for it, but in the case of Samyang it is not. Their lenses, including the one in question are manual focus lenses.
make sense.

hm... too bad, I am interested in their new 10mm f2.8 lens....

04-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok so marking it on the lens is the best plan.
Setting it up will be finicky because a small amount of turn of the focus ring at infinity makes a large effect but I will get it done.

---------- Post added 22nd Apr 2014 at 11:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Also, the minimum focus distance is not 8cm. The MFD measures from the sensor to the closest possible subject, NOT from the front of the lens (that is usually called working distance). So if you take 8cm+lens length+register distance, you will notice the MFD is not actually far off
Ah I see. I never really thought about that and I did assume the measurement to be to the objective lens.
04-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
This has always been a problem of the wide angle samyangs. Had to adjust both my 8mm and 14mm. I imagine this design is very similar to mine. You can easily adjust it yourself. Lift the rubber on the focus ring slightly until you expose the screws. Then set the infinity now at the accurate infinity position. Unscrew the screw (not needed to remove them just slightly loosen). Set the infinity symbol to where it's supposed to be. Retighten them and cover w the rubber. All in all 5 min of work. Your Next lens will prob also have this problem. :/
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/254226-samm...r-samyang.html

There are several sets of screws and this being an IF design, don't want to loosen the wrong ones !!
On the 14mm I remember there's a little "window" that you had to poke a screwdriver tip into to turn it (internally) to INF. Then the focus scale/ring had to be moved a bit too.

Do you have any pics or diagram to help with this adjustment?
04-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As mentioned before, distance scales and specs are measured from the film/sensor plane.

Better SLRs used to have this position marked on the top plate of the body (always a small coloured or engraved line).
It seems this feature has not survived the step to digital.

04-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
As mentioned before, distance scales and specs are measured from the film/sensor plane.

Better SLRs used to have this position marked on the top plate of the body (always a small coloured or engraved line).
It seems this feature has not survived the step to digital.
Many dslr manufacturers still mark the sensor plane on the outside of their cameras including Pentax. Speaking from experience, the K-5 series and K-3 all have the mark atop the camera next to the flash housing.
04-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@ geomez

I just had a look at my (many) Pentax SLRs, and none of has this marking.
Checked it with ME Super, Super A, SFXn, Z20, MZ-10 and MZ-5n.

Must have seen it on my older (pre 1981) equpment, Exakta and Exa bodies.

Also my K200D and *ist DS don't have it.

Last edited by RKKS08; 04-22-2014 at 05:17 PM.
04-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@ geomez

Maybe it's just once again in vogue. I just did a few Google image searches. The mark is present on all current Pentax dslrs, current consumer and pro dslr models of Nikons, Canons, and Sonys. Possibly on the mirrorless manufacturers too, I just didn't check.

04-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

@ geomez

Pentax was never much for "the mark". I don't know that any of their 35 mm cameras had it. OTOH, it was pretty common in general with other makes up until the early 1980s. All of my other Japanese cameras from before 1980 have it. My former Soviet stuff does not.

Steve
04-24-2014, 02:36 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One last remark, before it gets completely off topic.
I probably saw the mark for the position of the film plane on one or more of my non-SLR cameras.

I still remember experiments as a boy, and the difficulties to get any decent macro shot. With a non-SLR camera, one needed to exactly measure the distance from film plane to subject, and look up the equivalent distance setting on the camera. There had been sheets/tables for every close up lens used with popular cameras/lenses.

SLRs just started to get interest from a wider range of amateurs. For these, in my country Leitz was still the center of interest. But then they had their Visoflex, turning the Leicas into a macro-SLR - no need for distance sheets.
04-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #25

Just checked my recently purchased Sammy 16 and found true infinity to be right on the mark precisely. I recall my previous copy had decentering issues and focused prior to the infinity mark like the OP has stated.

Stars are sharp at full aperture by setting directly on the mark although a tweak under zoomed focus would be worth a check in critical applications.
08-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #26

My situation is different with the Samyang 16mm - it won't rotate far enough to reach infinity. I'm sure I checke dit when I first got it but there is a definite OoF at the hard stop, which on my other Samyangs does not apply. They all need to be 'backed off' to hit infinity.

Any way to adjust the helicoid further and achieve infinity?
08-27-2017, 07:47 AM   #27
Veteran Member

"To infinity and beyond", another Toy story fan.
Back in the 70's, I bought a Yashica tl electro with a 50mm 1.9 lens. The lens had been assembled with the multi start focussing helix in the wrong position. As I recall, it would not reach infinity.