Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #1

shutter will not open

So I purchased a new camera and went to get the lens off of my old MZ7 to try on the new camera...low and behold there is a film in the camera. Of course the batteries are long dead so I purchase new batteries so I can finish the film and get it developed...who knows what could be on there? I get new batteries, put them in and displays light up, everything s good. I try the lens in auto focus and it works, sets the aperture and shutter speed so I assume it is working. I take the camera to Eater supper and the shutter will not open. I try the lens on my new camera and it works fine. I try a different old lens on the MK& and it doesn't work. I hear something charging ( Iassume a capacitor which would likely be the flash???I am not sure) but nothing releases.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

04-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would help if you told us what new camera you got and what the old lens was

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Film motor not advancing the film so it can reset the shutter? Just shooting in the dark here. You might have to just rewind the film and open to see whats up.
04-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
Oops, sorry. New camera is a K50. The lens on the MZ7 was I believe a kit lens that came with it...it reads: SMC PENTAX-FA 1:3.5-5.6 28-90mm. I put this lens onto the K50 and it worked. I put an old Tamron 70 - 210 manual lens onto the MZ7 and with it in the manual position it would not open the lens, same thing I hear something charge and that's it.

---------- Post added 04-21-14 at 03:17 PM ----------

The rewind is by motor only, no manual rewind. I tried opening the back and the film is rolled in properly, I removed it and reinstalled it, the motor did reinstall the film so I assume the motor drive is working? ( I know I will have destroyed the first couple of exposure by opening the back, luckily I believe it was still on the 1st exposure so I believe I have lost nothing!)

04-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Does the 28-90mm still work on the mz7? If so, then the tamron lens might be shorting the body lens mount contacts. Just a thought.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #6

Original Poster
The MK7 seems to do everything it should except the shutter will not open with any lens on it. The lenses all work on the K50.
04-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There pretty much used up my expertise! My last resort on electronics is to drop them hard on a table (not recommended) but does work from time to time. Adam will be much better help.
04-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
There pretty much used up my expertise! My last resort on electronics is to drop them hard on a table (not recommended) but does work from time to time. Adam will be much better help.
Thanks for the thoughts Joel, I suppose that may be the last choice...I have found that works sometimes as well!

04-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter

The MZ-7 is the same as the ZX-7 They have a problem with the plastic gear that operates the mirror and shutter. It tends to dry out and strip. The price to replace mine with a metal one was over a hundred dollars so I replaced it with a ZX-L cheaper. It sounds as if that may be your problem. When mine broke/ stripped the shutter motor kept running sounding like something charging
04-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #10

Original Poster
Well that sounds like a very good possibility. I guess at this point I have to decide if the camera is worth putting any money into, being a 35 mm which are basically now boat anchors. So if I understand you, you had a plastic one installed? If I may ask what did that cost? Oops, I guess what you did was replace it with a different camera my mistake...I have gone searching! Thanks!

What a disappointment, I would bet this camera hasn't put 5 rolls of film through it, it has sat in storage for years and years unused!

Last edited by Jerry D; 04-22-2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: My ignorance of what a ZX-L is!
04-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jerry D Quote
Last edited by Jerry D; Today at 01:37 PM. Reason: My ignorance of what a ZX-L is!
My understanding is that the L was an upgrade to the 7. If you can find one with a metal gear it should be fine. From what I have read the later L's had metal gears. Several of the 7's had the plastic gears replace early in life like under warranty. Mine wasn't one of them. The quote I got to replace the gear was over a hundred dollars. I replaced it with the L for around 30 USD.
04-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Seems like 90's era Pentax film cameras are abundant on craigslist for cheap money. I picked up an MZ-5 and two good F-series lenses(which my daughter grabbed) for $40.00. So I am in the buy another camera camp! Of course if it was my K1000 it might be different.