Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2014, 03:35 AM   #1
Pentaxian

How to disable SDM on the lens ?

Hi there,

I was overjoyed when I read an article about deactivating the SDM on the lens to enable screw drive focusing, thought I could give my handicapped 16-50 a try, but then disappointed that the process requires a camera flashrom programming, I don't want to alter my new K3, so that I can still use SDM on the same lens at later time. I wonder if masking the lens contact can do the trick as well, any idea ?

04-22-2014, 03:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Masking the SDM contacts will just give you a manual focus lens.
Either borrow or buy an older body which allows you to access the debug mode and all will be well. I borrowed a K10D from a mate.
04-22-2014, 04:11 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Hi there,

I was overjoyed when I read an article about deactivating the SDM on the lens to enable screw drive focusing, thought I could give my handicapped 16-50 a try, but then disappointed that the process requires a camera flashrom programming, I don't want to alter my new K3, so that I can still use SDM on the same lens at later time. I wonder if masking the lens contact can do the trick as well, any idea ?
See this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...ml#post2203064

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2014, 04:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, I would rather manual focus, no rush no cash for another body, and my lens still half able with the SDM,I dropped it and ruined the motor, the repair cost too much that's why.

04-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Someday hopefully Pentax will take the 30 seconds required to add the one line of code to the bodies that would add a menu option to override the body to to screw drive only. It would be simply changing the one line you change in the lens in debug mode only doing it on the camera end.
Easy firmware update, it wouldn't even actually be new code, just a software switch to override the existing lens detection to screw drive only.
The current fix basically just reprograms the lens to lie to the camera and tell it that it doesn't have SDM and is a screw drive lens.

Next time we interview Pentax nag them about it will you?
05-19-2014, 03:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I believe it is worth to add an 'intelligent dual drive mode' in the focusing, which select by system which motor to use, for example, the system first estimate the amount of focus change required, and select whether to use body drive for speed, or/and then SDM for fine tuning/low noise, this can also be override in user settings, and in case you've got a faulty SDM lens the system can still use body focus, so that Pentax/Ricoh don't have to say 'yes, there is some flaw in the SDM design...' how that sounds ?
05-19-2014, 04:37 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

But you backup the original lens ROM so that you can shift between SDM and screw drive ...

Much harder to lose two text files in this modern age than two lens caps! :-)

Last edited by clackers; 05-19-2014 at 02:11 PM.
05-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Next time we interview Pentax nag them about it will you?
With such a user-selectable feature, Ricoh could promote it as "enhanced operational reliability for those lenses featuring a dual focus drive capability."

I believe it is worth to add an 'intelligent dual drive mode' in the focusing
Not only enhanced reliability, but Ricoh could also market the feature as a fully intelligent on-the-fly auto focus operation.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-19-2014 at 11:51 AM.
05-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi there,

You are not modifying the ROM of the camera, but of the lens. So once the lens has been re-programmed, it will work on any camera. The problem with the K3 is we have not yet learned how to put it into debug mode so that we can use it to modify the lens EPROM. But the process posted does not affect the camera's firmware in any way, only the lens. I borrowed a K100D to fix my DA*16-50 and have used it successfully on a K5, K30 and now, my K3.
05-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I used a K-x to do my 50-135 as per the other thread.

Works a treat.