Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, shooting at anything less than max resolution (except for special occations) is something you will regret.

04-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
From the exif it looks like you shoot this batch at 8 megapixels? I'd suggest setting the resolution and quality to max if you're sticking with jpeg. Do any re-sizing on the computer.
Yes, always shoot at the full 16MP if the IQ is important. If you want smaller files, even shooting at lowest quality (1-star) JPEG is fine, but don't lower the resolution.
04-26-2014, 06:00 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would say, shoot full quality too. You never know when you get that shot and want to print it nice and big, and realise that the file sadly lacks the quality for it.
04-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I would say, shoot full quality too. You never know when you get that shot and want to print it nice and big, and realise that the file sadly lacks the quality for it.
Of course I agree with this too, if file size isn't an issue. Or else shoot RAW+JPEG.

I'm just saying that you'll lose a lot more quality by shooting at 6 or 8 MP on a 16MP sensor than by reducing the JPEG star quality. So it's better to shoot at full resolution and then reduce the resolution later, when possible.

So if you want smaller images to send straight to the web - especially over a slower cellular connection - you can shoot 16MP 1-star JPEG and then let the target system on the web reduce the resolution once it receives it, if necessary.

04-27-2014, 01:59 AM   #65

Original Poster
I have put it up to 16mp, I have not started raw photos yet as I feel that is a whole new topic for me and I am still learning how to use the camera. Love reading the comments and trying to take everything on board and finding the whole thing interesting and fun , but taking my time to learn how to manipulate my camera settings and not run before I can walk
04-27-2014, 07:29 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Of course I agree with this too, if file size isn't an issue. Or else shoot RAW+JPEG.

I'm just saying that you'll lose a lot more quality by shooting at 6 or 8 MP on a 16MP sensor than by reducing the JPEG star quality. So it's better to shoot at full resolution and then reduce the resolution later, when possible.

So if you want smaller images to send straight to the web - especially over a slower cellular connection - you can shoot 16MP 1-star JPEG and then let the target system on the web reduce the resolution once it receives it, if necessary.
Why even reduce it to 1-star for JPEG, I don't really get it. SD memory is cheap now, and if you want to take a snapshot and send to facebook, use a cell phone. There is no wifi on that camera that can do that now.
04-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Why even reduce it to 1-star for JPEG, I don't really get it. SD memory is cheap now, and if you want to take a snapshot and send to facebook, use a cell phone. There is no wifi on that camera that can do that now.
As humans, we commonly fall into this trap. We can't think of any other application - any other way of doing things.

What if you're not taking "a snapshot"? How about if you're taking 10+ per minute, or 1000+ per event? How much delay to you want? How long do you want to wait? Are you trying to post masterpieces, or are you trying to make decent quality content available to someone, or perhaps many people?

04-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
As humans, we commonly fall into this trap. We can't think of any other application - any other way of doing things.

What if you're not taking "a snapshot"? How about if you're taking 10+ per minute, or 1000+ per event? How much delay to you want? How long do you want to wait? Are you trying to post masterpieces, or are you trying to make decent quality content available to someone, or perhaps many people?
I am not aware of any delay yet (and by the way, I shoot in continuous mode all the time). And I try to take every shot the best I can because I may never be able to redo that again especially if I am travelling.
04-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I am not aware of any delay yet (and by the way, I shoot in continuous mode all the time). And I try to take every shot the best I can because I may never be able to redo that again especially if I am travelling.
I mean how long do you want to wait before other(s) can see your photos? 20 minutes? 2 hours? 8 hours? The next day?

For that matter, what good are your photos until someone else can see them? (I should know - I've got lots of photos that are "no good" by this measure!)

If you have a large number of photos, it's usually the next day at the earliest - but that's mostly up to you. If your JPEGs are small enough you can upload large numbers in a reasonable amount of time - either from an Eye-Fi card, or from your computer. If you're remote you'll typically be going over a cellular connection - so a smaller file size (often only 1/4 the size) with a minimal loss of IQ is a HUGE deal! As in 2 hours vs. 8 hours - or today vs. tomorrow.