Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My daughter uses this lens on her K10D with good results. It is a bit big and heavy though.

Steve
Big and heavy? Well, I guess it's relative.

04-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
What do you guys think of the K10D? Maybe I should look at the body instead of investing so much into a body...just get something cheap and learn the art and then upgrade later on?
04-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zealex Quote
What do you guys think of the K10D? Maybe I should look at the body instead of investing so much into a body...just get something cheap and learn the art and then upgrade later on?
A K-x or K-r would be better for any sort of low light shooting.
04-23-2014, 07:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
A K-x or K-r would be better for any sort of low light shooting.
Agreed. Doesn't the K10D use a CCD sensor? Those don't do very well for low light and long exposures, if I recall correctly.
But I HAVE also heard that CCDs can perform GREAT at lower ISO.

Last edited by SpartanD63; 04-23-2014 at 07:14 PM.
04-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #20
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K10d should be excellent and cheap. Maybe get through KEH or B&H so you have ability to return if NG (2 weeks and 4 weeks respectively, but KEH is cheaper on camera body) and have warranty (6 months I believe).
The K10d will not be as able at higher iso. but is K10d is reputed to be superb at lowest iso.
You are coming from film and not comparing camera A to B. Later model will tend to do better at higher iso (and better AF and better dynamic range).
If you specifically want a prism and not (penta) mirror then the K-x and K-r are not for you.
You are likely looking at $150. to $450. for k-10d to (almost latest) K5.
My 2cents--buy the cheapest but good camera--which from what I hear is k10d (I have K20d which is same body--and I like it a lot). Think of the K10d as dslr equivalent of ektachrome at iso 100~400. After 1 year the $150 camera will be a good back up if you decide you need good higher iso, etc.
04-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member

good thinking. The lens is always the best investment. Not only for the money but to produce better output.

I am quite sure the DA55-300 will be of your liking because of the good quality for the zoom range. But it won´t be very fast to autofocus. DA16-45 can also be bought very cheap and is very good, wide and constant f/4. If you dare start with primes any 50mm produced by pentax are great (except perhaps the 50mm f/2 version) same goes for 28 and 35mm. I think you can get a great deal for the DA50/1.8 or DA35/2.4 if you want latest and with AF.
After getting the lenses you want / need / like, go for the body with the rest of the budget. As long as it works ok you should be fine
04-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

.just get something cheap and learn the art and then upgrade later on
Thats what I said

04-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #23

+1 on buying used and +1 on investing in lenses vs the body and... +1 from checking out the marketplace here

the Nikons D3XXX have a really nice feature for beginners: a guide mode that teaches you, on the camera, what settings to pick for different situations. I don't know the exact modes, but it's something like, Action shots, start with this ISO, this shutter speed, etc. It's nothing you can't learn from books, in a class, or reading online. I also recall those cameras not being too great at higher ISOs.

k10d is good starting point, it's suppose to be really good at low ISO, but not high ISO.
i don't know if I agree with getting a kit zoom lens to start like 18-55mm, maybe because i like shooting with primes instead of zoom lenses.
i really like the combination of k-01 with a manual focus lens or fantastic plastic 35mm f2.4. coming from a film camera, the viewfinders just aren't the same, even with focusing screen aids.
04-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quimming Quote
i don't know if I agree with getting a kit zoom lens to start like 18-55mm, maybe because i like shooting with primes instead of zoom lenses.
The DA16-45/4 (or even an A or F24-50/4) would be good here if it fits in the budget, but you have to start with something in this Focal Length range, so the DA18-55 works - even if it's only for the first 3-6 months. Since they're only worth about $40 or $50 it shouldn't be too big of a deal to invest in one to start.
04-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I think when you make a decision you'll be happy.

If you enjoy photography, you'll be replacing the body somewhere between 1 and 5 years from now. And you'll probably make lens purchases/changes long before that. So getting started sooner is better!

You can just get a body - anything under $300 is a pretty reasonable price to start photography with. Put the 28-200 on it and try it out. Then come back to the forum - we have plenty of ideas on good lenses that are in the $50-300 range. So you could add one or two of these, according to your needs.

If you need some more assurance (or even inspiration) take a look at these three sources. They let you select the lens (and often the camera) to filter out shots that were taken with it. So you can judge what you like:

PENTAX : Welcome to the PENTAX Photo Gallery

Advanced Search

Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F/4-5.6 ED WR Lens Sample Photos and Specifications

As you can see, even lenses I typically say "aren't that special" are pretty good - I was even impressed myself as I created these links for you. Simply a K10D with the 28-200 is nothing to sneeze at. Nice camera, low cost, great way to get started.

Keep saving your money. If you buy an inexpensive camera now, it won't even take long until you can buy a really nice lens or two. Then after the summer, or whenever you're ready, you can up your game with a new lens which gets photos that are just that much better: Advanced Search Notice what a $150 camera can do when you put a $600-800 (used) lens on it!

Or you can get a couple of cheaper lenses. In any case, there's nothing wrong with an inexpensive, used Pentax!
04-25-2014, 02:08 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Hello,

I was originally going to post an introduction but considering I have a lengthy question I felt this was a more appropriate place to post (hope that is okay)!

I'm looking to get into photography, and found my dad's old film SLR, a Pentax PZ10 with a Tamron af 28-200mm superzoom F/3.8-5.6 aspherical XR [IF] Macro (model a03/a03s). I feel it would be easier learn photography on a digital SLR so I can correct my photos on the spot rather than wait for films to be produced. I've been looking at numerous models, such as the Pentax k-500 2 lens bundle on Amazon for $500 USD. I also found the K-50 for $650 USD with a 2 lens bundle, weather resistant. If I were to buy a Pentax body or camera bundle...would my Tamrom fit it? I understand the K mount is very universal but I heard there's some instances where it doesn't fit or it doesn't work properly? I was a bit confused on that and was wondering if I could get some clarification...

Other DSLR's I'm eyeing are currently the D3000, D3100 and D3200 because I feel I found some good deals and bundles on them.

Maybe I should just save the money and learn with my SLR and wait for films to be produced? I feel I'd be better off with a DSLR because I view most photos online and feel it'd be easier to share them if I could upload them from a SD card.

Thanks for reading.

Get the K-50, the Image quality is better than nikons. You'll also have Shake Reduction, so any lens you ever buy will have the SR. Weather sealing is a huge advantage, especially in wetter and colder climates. Plus the K-50 has the built in AF motor in the body and supports screw drive lenses. Plus the K-50 has the AF fine tune in case you buy a lens and it back or front focuses. Plus mirror lock up. A much easier interface.
04-25-2014, 02:30 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
Get the K-50, the Image quality is better than nikons. You'll also have Shake Reduction, so any lens you ever buy will have the SR. Weather sealing is a huge advantage, especially in wetter and colder climates. Plus the K-50 has the built in AF motor in the body and supports screw drive lenses. Plus the K-50 has the AF fine tune in case you buy a lens and it back or front focuses. Plus mirror lock up. A much easier interface.
And the K50 has two control wheels and a pentaprism viewfinder. The two control wheels make life really easy, you can dial in aperture on one, shutter speed on t'other and Bob's your Mum's Brother!

Here in the UK the K30 is still available new in a few places and is really cheap, it is pretty much the same as the K50 - weather resistant et al - and is a bargain. Very easy to use too....
04-25-2014, 02:35 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That is not the same lens. The XR is a latter version of smaller size and better quality.
04-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #29

Original Poster
I found a new K-R with a DA 55-300m lens and a 18-55m lens...for about 500 you think this is a good deal? Been reading the advice present in this thread and it seems I should strive for around a K-r and a da 55-300m lens...

There's a ton of deals on costco's website that seems really good too, but very expensive . K-50 for 650 and there's some Canon and Nikon.
04-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it's the 300, it's not a bad deal at all. The non-L version on the 55-300 sells for roughly 300 on its own. The Kr is a couple generations old but still capable. This won't be weather resistant, though, if that's important.