Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #31

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
If it's the 300, it's not a bad deal at all. The non-L version on the 55-300 sells for roughly 300 on its own. The Kr is a couple generations old but still capable. This won't be weather resistant, though, if that's important.
It's the DA L. Still seems like a decent deal but a part of me is always skeptical about eBay deals.

04-26-2014, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zealex Quote
It's the DA L. Still seems like a decent deal but a part of me is always skeptical about eBay deals.
The seller had at least a 99.8% positive rating, IIRC. So probably not to worry, if they have a reasonable return policy.
04-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #33

Original Poster
I haven't checked all the cameras offered on Costco but the k-50...it seems the majority of the price is towards the body more so than the lens and knowing what I know from here... the lens should be the prime investment.

That being said, perhaps I'll purchase the K-r new with the DA L 55-300m because it seems like a good deal. Will take some time to think about it but it might be the best option for my budget and goals.
04-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think its a bit expensive. A k-30 is selling for 440 new and it is much better than k-r. Dont like the idea of buying a used body?

04-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #35

Original Poster
Is that just the body? The K-r comes with a new body, 18-55mm and 50-300m lens.
04-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Yes, saw it on amazon. But, in my view, the 18-55 is a U$50 lens (doesnt mean its not good) and the 55-300 goes for U$180 (DA L version, used prices) that leaves the K-r for U$270. Thats high in my opinion.
Imo, the best advantage of newer pentax bodies is the improved AF system. From the K-30 (I think its the same camera as K-50 with different looks, check review on this site) onwards it got really good and that is really nice to have, relative to the price you are paying.Doesnt mean asn older body wont do the job, just tools after all. But Id try to get a better price in an older body which probably means buying used.
Hasve you checked the DA35/2.4 ? Theres a deal at amazon for 140U$. That would be a really good start
04-27-2014, 01:21 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What do you guys think of the K10D? Maybe I should look at the body instead of investing so much into a body...just get something cheap and learn the art and then upgrade later on?
A K-10 for around $100 would be a great buy. K-10 has color rendering that some people think has never been surpassed by later model cameras. Anyway, it would be a great camera to use as a learning tool, and all the lens you use on it can be used on all the newest Pentax cameras when you decide to move up. The K-10 is a good enough camera that you will be reluctant to give it up even when you get a newer and more expensive one, and of course would be a great backup camera to a newer model. Good luck whatever you decide.

04-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Yes, saw it on amazon. But, in my view, the 18-55 is a U$50 lens (doesnt mean its not good) and the 55-300 goes for U$180 (DA L version, used prices) that leaves the K-r for U$270. Thats high in my opinion.
Imo, the best advantage of newer pentax bodies is the improved AF system. From the K-30 (I think its the same camera as K-50 with different looks, check review on this site) onwards it got really good and that is really nice to have, relative to the price you are paying.Doesnt mean asn older body wont do the job, just tools after all. But Id try to get a better price in an older body which probably means buying used.
Hasve you checked the DA35/2.4 ? Theres a deal at amazon for 140U$. That would be a really good start
I really gotta agree with carrlangas on the k-30 with the superior AF. I'm not knocking the K-r I think its also a great camera with 12mp and slightly better dynamic range. But when the K-30 first came out, folks down my local camera store were really impressed with the speed of the AF, claiming its faster than some expensive brand that shall remain nameless. I tried it and yes, the AF is much faster than my K-5.

Look, when it comes to camera gear, its best not to stick to a budget. I know that sounds nuts, but if its $50 or $100 or $200 more for a significantly better Pentax, then just work an extra week or two and make up the difference.

The 16-45 f/4 is also a very sharp lens for you to consider in stead of the 18-55.

If it were me, I'd just get a K-30 or K-50 with WR lenses, and then get non-WR lenses afterwards like primes. The WR lenses become your backup when the weather is bad.
04-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
I really gotta agree with carrlangas on the k-30 with the superior AF. I'm not knocking the K-r I think its also a great camera with 12mp and slightly better dynamic range. But when the K-30 first came out, folks down my local camera store were really impressed with the speed of the AF, claiming its faster than some expensive brand that shall remain nameless. I tried it and yes, the AF is much faster than my K-5.
I am glad you agree with me but I donīt think the K-r has better dynamic range than the newer sensor on K-30. DxO supports this: Pentax K-50 versus Pentax K-30 versus Pentax Kr - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark
And, while AF is better than previous version I donīt think it is that much faster, but more accurate and consistent. (speed depends not only of the body but of the lens you use)
Also, I am cetain now that K-30 and K-50 are the same camera in with different looks: Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-50 vs. Pentax K-30 vs. Pentax K-r - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com

I also added K-r in both comparisons.

I do like this idea:
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
A K-10 for around $100 would be a great buy.
Although maybe counterintuitive, iīd start by buying the DA35/2.4 for U$140 through amazon deal: http://amzn.com/B0042RTQPC while you decide to buy a new body or used one, modern or older, etc.
Even if you donīt like the lens, itīs resale value should be no less than U$125. Make sure to check the marketplace for a body..
04-27-2014, 10:17 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Although maybe counterintuitive, iīd start by buying the DA35/2.4 for U$140 through amazon deal: Amazon.com : Pentax 21987 DA 35mm f/2.4 AL Lens for Pentax Digital SLR cameras : Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo while you decide to buy a new body or used one, modern or older, etc.
This is a good deal on a lens that will deliver better IQ than the DA18-55 right away. I'd seriously consider it if I were Zealex.

Is that just the body? The K-r comes with a new body, 18-55mm and 50-300m lens.
BTW, I understand that Zealex has already ordered this kit.
04-28-2014, 05:42 AM   #41

Original Poster
Yes I bought a K-r new w/ 18-55mm and 55-300m for 480.I think it was a good deal.. can't really go any higher because as a student I need that money for other things.. 480 is already more than I'd like to spend.

Thanks for the lens link, I will probably get that later on. Maybe I can sell my 18-55mm and Tamron to get that!
04-28-2014, 06:02 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That lens pair will do a lot of what you want to do. Use it and figure out what you can't do with it, then look for solutions. Do look for aftermarket lens hoods if those don't ship with them, these are mandatory. Not only do they prevent stray light from bouncing around your elements, but they protect the front element from damage. There are a couple threads here outlining where to find generic replacement hoods.

Look on Craigslist etc, for older manual lenses. An M50 f/2 or f1:1.7 should be inexpensive and a lot of fun to learn with. A-series lenses are more convenient since you can control the aperture via the camera, an A50 f/2 should be inexpensive, too - even if you have to buy a camera body with it. These are mostly for your learning and curiosity. Don't go overboard with old lenses you won't frequently use.
04-28-2014, 06:25 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Don't go overboard with old lenses you won't frequently use.
Or you will end up with 68 lenses, 27 between 50 & 58 mm...6 28mm & 5 35mm...
04-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #44

Original Poster
I will look at the lens, thanks for the tip!

I'm going to play with my camera for a bit and make sure I understand everything before I buy more things haha. Gives me time to save up too.

Right now I'm reading up on ISO, aperture and shutter speed.

So basically if I was taking portraits of someone or standstills...I'd want the lowest ISO possible for less noise and best image quality? If I wanted to shoot low light, or action shots I'd want a higher ISO right?

A aperture that is larger blurs the background and the smaller doesn't? This is the limitations of the lens, and the aperture changes when you zoom unless it's fixed right?

Shutter speed is how fast the shutter closes? For sports you want a fast one? Motion blur is caused by the slow shutter?

I think I understand ISO pretty well, but aperture and shutter speed seem to be a little confusing to me haha.
04-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Motion blur from the subject can be minimized by a faster shutter. So can your hand shaking - over 1/125 or so and your hand motion is usually eliminated (usually).

On a bright sunny day, for instance, taking wildlife pictures I'll set the camera to TAv - aperture to f8ish and then adjust the shutter speed so the ISO is 200 or below, but not flashing at me. Usually that's 1/1000 or faster! The less light there is, the slower the shutter speed needs to be to keep the ISO in a comfortable range. When trying to get images of bees on bright flowers the shutter speed can be even higher - 1/2000 isn't uncommon.

Indoors with my 28mm at f2.0 in a dark room the shutter speed at 1/45 the ISO can reach to 6400 on the K5 with acceptable results, though usually isn't that high in practice. Then you'll get some subject motion blur if you're not careful.

You'll get the hang of it, and it will become second nature.