Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by Zealex Quote
Yeah true. I'm really excited for the 55-300mm lens haha it's the reason why I choose the kit over the K-50 kit...and it was significantly cheaper.

Curious, is "CaNikon" a term to merge Nikon and Canon together? It seems like there's some idea that only true photographs use either brand and the rest is crap..? Not that I believe into that , but I am curious towards the rumor and why there's such a rivalry going on.
Canikon is of course an amalgam of those two brands. They have by far and away the largest share of the DSLR market between them, and there are plenty of shops and suppliers that will only stock them. They make great cameras, let's be honest, but that doesn't mean they make the best cameras for each individual. For me, Pentax won the day even though I'd started to invest in Nikon. My Pentax (the K-30) feels right to me in the hand, and for the cost was better spec'd than the similarly priced Canon and Nikon. It gives easy access to control of the camera and image that I simply wouldn't get without a lot more cash with a Canon or Nikon. I want to learn to creature photographs, and Pentax lets me do that without beginners' fuss. If you look around towns and cities at those shooting with a DSLR, it's almost always Canikon. Professionals use them because they have Full Frame, and the range of formidable lenses for sports beats the competition. But for me, and levels I'm likely to reach, Pentax will do me just fine, thank you.

Last edited by kentishrev; 04-30-2014 at 12:34 PM.
04-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Curious, is "CaNikon" a term to merge Nikon and Canon together?
Yep, a term seemingly only ever used as a put down.
04-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #63

Original Poster
Is full frame a term to describe a dSLR with a sensor the size of a film camera?

Any particular reason why Pentax does not support this?
04-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

Is full frame a term to describe a dSLR with a sensor the size of a film camera?

Ah, now you're just *trolling*, Zealex!

Also learn the phrase "Pentax is doomed".

The K3 might be argued to be the best cropped factor DSLR you can buy. The 645Z is a scaled up one, so FF is certainly possible, as Ricoh said in an interview.

But FF cameras are in the minority, even in the Csnikon world, so how to get a worthwhile return on investment for a tiny market share company like Pentax is something for the board to figure out.

Last edited by clackers; 04-30-2014 at 12:55 PM.
04-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #65

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Also learn the phrase "Pentax is doomed".
O_O

Did I jump on a dying horse =P?
04-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

O_O

Did I jump on a dying horse =P?
Fuji, Olympus and Pentax have excellent horses in their stables, even if Canikon win all the races each afternoon.

I have a K-30 and a K-x (essentially your K-r). Both were great value, features for price.

You're a college student, keen to push your art but with a limited budget?

Snap up 30 year old manual film lenses cheaply and motion stabilise them all with your inbuilt SR!

Last edited by clackers; 04-30-2014 at 01:09 PM.
04-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #67

Original Poster
Hehe yeah. I'm happy the K-R has the inbuilt SR. I know Nikon has the VR in the lens...glad to not have to worry about!

Isn't manual better for photography anyways?
04-30-2014, 01:24 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
BTW, I understand that Zealex has already ordered this kit.
Pfff. I didnīt understand that. Well, Zealex got a great combo anyway.
Zealex, I donīt mean to disincourage you but in the future, if you consider buying used take a look arround and wait for an opportunity, thereīs always people selling and buying equipment: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/259994-sal...kit-black.html

04-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Autofocus exists for a reason - it's convenient, it frees your hand to adjust your settings more readily and if it works well, it's great. There's really no better or worse, but being able to easily use manual lenses gives you access to some really great glass...
04-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #70

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Pfff. I didnīt understand that. Well, Zealex got a great combo anyway.
Zealex, I donīt mean to disincourage you but in the future, if you consider buying used take a look arround and wait for an opportunity, thereīs always people selling and buying equipment: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/259994-sal...kit-black.html
Guess I missed out on a good deal huh :/. I have no problem buying used, however for that camera seemed like a great deal because they're almost used prices. Going by the prices you recommended for them earlier, equalied to 500 and I got it for 480. I can't really complain. That bundle you linked to me is really cheap though...wow. Curious to why he would want to sell it so cheap.

---------- Post added 04-30-14 at 04:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Autofocus exists for a reason - it's convenient, it frees your hand to adjust your settings more readily and if it works well, it's great. There's really no better or worse, but being able to easily use manual lenses gives you access to some really great glass...
Yeah I will definitely learn! Sounds fun to learn how to use manual anyways. Once I have some extra money perhaps I'll get a manual lens to play with.

Last edited by Zealex; 04-30-2014 at 02:05 PM.
04-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Guess I missed out on a good deal huh :/. I have no problem buying used, however for that camera seemed like a great deal because they're almost used prices. Going by the prices you recommended for them earlier, equalied to 500 and I got it for 480. I can't really complain. That bundle you linked to me is really cheap though...wow. Curious to why he would want to sell it so cheap.
It was a good deal. That's why it only lasted 2 to 4 hours. It probably would have cost you slightly more once you add in the cost of the DA55-300 you'd still need.

The reason he was selling it is one I've mentioned before - he really wanted some other piece of equipment. In his case, it was a Rokinon 85/1.4 Manual Focus lens (which sells for almost exactly the same price as he was asking). It's obvious he has at least one other Pentax camera - which he intends to use the new lens on. So this second body wasn't as important to him - in fact, that's probably the reason it has so little use on it (because it was only a backup, or was something he bought just to try it out).

---------- Post added 04-30-14 at 09:38 PM ----------

Don't worry, Pentax is highly likely to release a FF within a year. Even if they don't, I don't think they're going away any time soon. Ricoh's actions show they have a genuine interest in making them a long-term success. Ricoh's a strong company that's been successful in other markets. But I suspect they've always been a bit jealous of Pentax in this market (going way back), so they finally just bought them!

Last edited by DSims; 04-30-2014 at 09:39 PM.
05-01-2014, 05:44 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Curious, is "CaNikon" a term to merge Nikon and Canon together? It seems like there's some idea that only true photographs use either brand and the rest is crap..? Not that I believe into that , but I am curious towards the rumor and why there's such a rivalry going on.
Canon and Nikon are a mirror onto each other. They offer consumer crop cameras which are average to above average (especially in terms of image quality). The full frame cameras are a good leap up over the crop body cameras. So if you want really great image quality, you've got to pay a truck load of money for one of their FF cameras (Or, you can go straight to Pentax and get the great image quality straight away). So basically their business models are exactly the same, and they're milking the consumer of every dime they can.

The industry love Canon and Nikon because they both offer sponsorship programs for professional photographers. Pros can get free cameras, lenses and accessories under the program, and the consumer basically pays for this. The sponsorship program is HUGE, and therefore, the pro Canon and Nikon propaganda from the professionals is also HUGE. "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" (THAT should be their company's moto instead of "I am Nikon", and Canons "no one see's it like you").

They all wish that Pentax and Sony would copy Canon and Nikon and adopt the exact same business model. But companies sometimes won't copy other companies step for step. I don't know if "anti-competitive" or "anti-collusion" legislation applies. Giving a photographer $10,000 to $15,000 or more worth of gear is funny when the Premier of NSW Australia resigned in disgrace after receiving a $3000 bottle of wine as a gift - with 30 sponsored photographers taking 20,000 photos, all of which 2 or 3 get published.

Pentax aimed at the crop body camera market, and deliver what I think are some of the best imaging machines for the price. Sony on the other hand couldn't get Minolta profitable, so they dumped the Minolta brand and slapped on the Sony brand. They also went down a totally different path with SLT's, and took the mirrorless market by storm with the NEX mirrorless cameras, and now the AR and AR7.

So Pentax and Sony are not copy-cat companies. Sony is so huge, it could develop a complete range in a year or two, and crush Canon and Nikon. But they haven't, they're trying to innovate and be different, and are sort of pioneering the mirrorless development.

Pentax is doing its own thing with great quality weather resistant cameras, which are user friendly, and an awesome lens range. The new Medium format 645W is set to shake up the medium format market, and steal some full frame pro's as well. Pentax is innovating with SR and a new mirror mechanism to alleviate mirror slap.

Canikon is the status quo. Welcome to the wacky world of photography !
05-01-2014, 05:51 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
Buy two UV filters for the corresponding filters, plus two circular polarising filters. The UV filters are just to protect your front element, and stop UV if a lens isn't SMC coated.
I think buying UV-filters for cheap lenses is a waste of time and money. If you multiply the risk of destroying a front element over time with the cost for replacing or repairing a lens and compare it to the cost of the filters it just don't add up.
The UV blocking is of no use with digital cameras as they already have a filter over the sensor, the lens coatings doesn't matter.
05-01-2014, 06:12 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I think buying UV-filters for cheap lenses is a waste of time and money. If you multiply the risk of destroying a front element over time with the cost for replacing or repairing a lens and compare it to the cost of the filters it just don't add up.
The UV blocking is of no use with digital cameras as they already have a filter over the sensor, the lens coatings doesn't matter.
Fair comment. But you can get UV filters on ebay really cheaply. I found some at a camera store for $10 in Emolux brand which claims 98% light transmition. The equal in a Hoya is 4 or 5 times as much with 94% transmission. I bought a 77mm today for $15 for my latest lens - you can't beat $15 !!

I might have to go back and get a better circular polarizer. (remember this one Zealex ! There are extra thin circular polarizing filters which cause less vignetting than standard ones)
05-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #75
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
Fair comment. But you can get UV filters on ebay really cheaply. I found some at a camera store for $10 in Emolux brand which claims 98% light transmition. The equal in a Hoya is 4 or 5 times as much with 94% transmission. I bought a 77mm today for $15 for my latest lens - you can't beat $15 !!
It's still an extra piece of glass and will reduce IQ. A $15 dollar piece of glass at that.