Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2014, 08:51 AM   #46

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, once I get my camera (should be here before the weekend!) I will be able to practice this in person and will probably understand it better.

I'll probably shoot in jpeg but I think I wanna learn how to process raw images too.

04-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RAW can rescue images, particularly underexposed ones. It's amazing how much the sensor catches. If you have the storage space, do RAW+ and then you have them to work with. I started using Lightroom 4 a few years ago and it's pretty simple.
04-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #48

Original Poster
I should probably invest in a 32gb sd card if I want to shoot RAW. 12.4 mp photos shouldn't be too large, maybe I'll get a 16gb. I have a bunch of 2gbs to use for now, we'll see how long that lasts before I get annoyed changing SD cards =p.
04-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zealex Quote
I should probably invest in a 32gb sd card if I want to shoot RAW. 12.4 mp photos shouldn't be too large, maybe I'll get a 16gb. I have a bunch of 2gbs to use for now, we'll see how long that lasts before I get annoyed changing SD cards =p.
A 32GB card is around $22...it's not a big investment. On the 16 MP K-5 a 32GB card can hold over 900 RAW images (I shoot RAW exclusively), I can run out of battery before I run out of storage...

04-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
A 32GB card is around $22...it's not a big investment. On the 16 MP K-5 a 32GB card can hold over 900 RAW images (I shoot RAW exclusively), I can run out of battery before I run out of storage...
Or more to the point, using a 32 gig card, I always run out of battery before I run out of storage. Many of our trips are two weeks in length with no chance to recharge batteries along the way. With two batteries, I've had dying batteries crimp my style a bit, but not miss any images. With 32 GB cards I've once used a 16 GB back up card. I usually pick up my cards on sale at Staples or Henry's, and $22 is probably a good ball park figure, although I did splurge and paid $49 for the Scandisk Extreme (45Mb/sec) for my K-3.

I always travel with a back up battery, on longer trips, I bring two. That will be good for over 1500 pictures.

Last edited by normhead; 04-28-2014 at 02:04 PM.
04-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #51

Original Poster
The AA battery holder is 40 dollars on Amazon... wowhaha.

I have a ton of rechargeable AA batteries so I'd probably benefit from that. I got time to search though .

Forgot SD Cards are so cheap.. was looking at the high end ones (which I don't even think the K-r supports)

Excited to getting some shots in. The only photography I've practiced is with my galaxy s3, and I think I'll be happy once I get a real camera.

Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciated it!!
04-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In 99.9% of the times I fill up a 16GB card it's either due to me not emptying the card for weeks or months or simply taking a crapload of craptastic crappy pics.

04-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I have a ton of rechargeable AA batteries so I'd probably benefit from that. I got time to search though .
You can get cheap knock-offs that seem to work OK.
04-29-2014, 05:03 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Congratulations Zealex on buying your Pentax K-r !

Welcome to the Pentax fold !

We now pronounce you a Pentaxian !

I've seen a lot of impressive film-like pictures from the K-r, its a great camera. I've handled it too, and the competition is a little lagging IMO. Just remember to let the SR fire up before shooting. In the beginning you get excited and shoot a little too soon before the hand symbol appears in the viewfinder. So don't get ahead of yourself in all the excitement !
04-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #55

Original Poster
I'm excited to start shooting some photos! My camera should be here tomorrow, and if not, hopefully Thursday.

Curious, would it be worth to buy filters or just use a program like photoshop to make my images black and white if I so desire?

Edit: Silly question, but if I shoot a RAW photo..will I be able to see it on the LCD screen or I won't be able to see it until I use a computer program?

Thanks

Last edited by Zealex; 04-29-2014 at 08:55 PM.
04-29-2014, 09:27 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I'm excited to start shooting some photos! My camera should be here tomorrow, and if not, hopefully Thursday.

Curious, would it be worth to buy filters or just use a program like photoshop to make my images black and white if I so desire?

Edit: Silly question, but if I shoot a RAW photo..will I be able to see it on the LCD screen or I won't be able to see it until I use a computer program?

Thanks
You'll use software or the camera settings to make a B&W.

You'll be able to review your photos on the camera's rear screen, regardless of whether you're shooting JPEG, RAW, or RAW+JPEG.

The only filters normally needed on a digital camera are Circular Polarizers (CPL). Clear "protective" (e.g. UV or Skylight) filters are optional (sometimes they protect, sometimes they smash or even contribute to the damage).
04-29-2014, 10:09 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Thanks
Buy two UV filters for the corresponding filters, plus two circular polarising filters. The UV filters are just to protect your front element, and stop UV if a lens isn't SMC coated. The circular polarizers can be turned, and will take out glare from water or car windows.

The camera can be switched over to black and white and other filters on the white balance button. There you just toggle through the different filters.
04-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #58

Original Poster
Thanks guys!

TBH the only real thing I "regret" about the K-R is I feel I should of maybe got the K-50 with the weatherproof lens for an additional 170. Came w/ a SD card and bag too, but it's raining heavy outside and all this week and would love to shoot some photos.

But perhaps that saved 170 is worth going to a better lens...

Last edited by Zealex; 04-30-2014 at 11:22 AM.
04-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use it, learn, get the most out of it and when you hit the limits of the body then upgrade. After that, you can put a split-focus screen in the K5 and use it for manual work.

I've been in the rain numerous times with the K5/18-135 combo and never had water issues. Prudence always pays off, but it's nice to have the assurance of WR.
04-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #60

Original Poster
Yeah true. I'm really excited for the 55-300mm lens haha it's the reason why I choose the kit over the K-50 kit...and it was significantly cheaper.

Curious, is "CaNikon" a term to merge Nikon and Canon together? It seems like there's some idea that only true photographs use either brand and the rest is crap..? Not that I believe into that , but I am curious towards the rumor and why there's such a rivalry going on.