Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2014, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Stupid but urgent question about accessing flash settings on back of camera

I have changed a setting (I can't remember which one) on my K-3 and now when I press the flash button on the back of the camera panel, I can't get the flash menu to come up. Instead, the four buttons around the OK operate to change the size and position of the autofocus area. I have no idea what I did and so I can't undo it. And this seems to be getting in the way of my getting my flash to work off-camera (with a cord). Homework assignment must be completed tonight and the manual is about as intelligible to me at this point as Turkish.

Help, please.

04-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

hold the OK button for 12 or 2 seconds and the arrows will go back to controlling the other stuff. Toggle to control de focus point again!
04-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
I have changed a setting (I can't remember which one) on my K-3 and now when I press the flash button on the back of the camera panel, I can't get the flash menu to come up. Instead, the four buttons around the OK operate to change the size and position of the autofocus area. I have no idea what I did and so I can't undo it. And this seems to be getting in the way of my getting my flash to work off-camera (with a cord). Homework assignment must be completed tonight and the manual is about as intelligible to me at this point as Turkish.

Help, please.
Pressing the AF area button (the one to the right of the menu button) will take you out of the AF point mode. The button duplication can sometimes slow you down, unfortunately

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

This button toggles how the four buttons around the OK button work: They either move the AF point around or work as marked (flash, white balance, etc.).

Attached Images

04-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

disregard my comment! I thought you were asking for a K-5 series!
04-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
disregard my comment! I thought you were asking for a K-5 series!
I think you are still correct, press and hold the OK button for a little longer will take you out of moving AF points. Hence the user can press the 'flash' button to change setting on the 4-way pad. It would be very annoying and unfriendly if Ricoh changes how it should work on the k-3 once you get used to k-5 menu/button system.
04-24-2014, 02:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I think you are still correct, press and hold the OK button for a little longer will take you out of moving AF points. Hence the user can press the 'flash' button to change setting on the 4-way pad. It would be very annoying and unfriendly if Ricoh changes how it should work on the k-3 once you get used to k-5 menu/button system.
Sadly, they did. I have to keep looking at the back of the camera to use the new button, even though the button is so close to the 4-way pad.
I'll get used to it, but the change is mildly annoying after so many years.
BUT... I have not accidentally turned it on, either. So, for me, it seems to be a move for the better.
04-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the prompt replies. Last night's experience will teach me something I should have learned already - don't leave your homework until the last minute.

04-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
BUT... I have not accidentally turned it on, either.
I have. Big, wraparound hands.

Steve
04-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Sadly, they did. I have to keep looking at the back of the camera to use the new button, even though the button is so close to the 4-way pad.
I'll get used to it, but the change is mildly annoying after so many years.
BUT... I have not accidentally turned it on, either. So, for me, it seems to be a move for the better.
Sorry, my bad and thanks for pointing out my mistake as I did not read Ole's post carefully either. Then they did change the way how it works in K-3 vs K-5/II/s. If it is change for the better, then may be not too annoying.
04-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
If it is change for the better, then may be not too annoying.
I haven't had my K3 for long but it hasn't been an issue yet.
Still, as Stevebrot points out, your milage may vary. :-)
05-06-2015, 11:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter

4 way controller buttons

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this problem. I found myself doing some photo work for someone, and I had not used my K-3 much. A half hour after starting, and moving to a room with tungsten lighting, I could not get the four buttons on the back of my camera to work. Luckily, I packed my K-5 body for back up, which I used for the rest of the evening. Checked with camera store where I bought my K-3, and they couldn't figure it out, nor heard of this happening. So we used the Menu to reset all of my settings, and got the buttons to work. A couple of days later, it happened, again. Got on the chat line with a tech at Ricoh to see if they could help me. He said he NEVER heard of or encountered someone who had the 4 way controller buttons quit working, nor did he know what would cause the buttons to stop functioning. His only suggestion was the reset option, which did not work while we were going back and forth, online. Eventually, thinking I had a defective unit, his only suggestion was to send it in to Ricoh's service center in Conneticut. And depending how busy they were, I would lose use of my K-3 from 3-6 weeks, while they fixed the problem. Big disappointment!
After, we parted ways, I pushed every button I could, and re-re set my settings. Eventually the controllers were working, again. This is something I never encountered with my K-5, or any other previous models
Obviously, I asked the wrong people.
frogoutofwater found the right people to get the answer to the same problem I encountered. Thank you.
I'd like to ask, where do you get all this information? I could not find anything in my owners manual to help nor was there anything I recall seeing that says this is what will happen if you do this. Years ago, Magic Lantern used to publish books that gave you more information and insights of your new camera, than the manufacturers owners manual did. But, they quit covering Pentax. I'd like to know anything and everything I can about the cameras I use. But, the manufacturers are getting more and more stingy with sharing the information we'd like to have. Especially, as in this case, troubleshooting. So whatever you are willing to share with myself as well as others, would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
05-07-2015, 12:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The manual is indeed not very helpful unless you know what you're looking for (it's called 'direct keys'); searching in the PDF for that might give you an idea

Maybe Yvon Bourque's eBook will help; I don't have any of them so can't judge if it's an improvement over the normal user manual. PENTAX DSLRs
05-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lens_focus Quote
A half hour after starting, and moving to a room with tungsten lighting, I could not get the four buttons on the back of my camera to work...A couple of days later, it happened, again.
I too had this happen with my K-3 a couple of weeks ago. I doubt that the change of lighting was the cause. I tried the usual stuff (on/off followed by battery remove/insert), but with no success. Eventually the problem cured itself after about 1/2 hour. Strangely, the other camera systems and controls continued to work fine. At the time, I thought maybe it was the Wasabi battery, but have not had a recurrence.

After reviewing this thread, I am not sure that the AF point button is the cause*. I will have to do some more playing with the camera. I have my AF point set to center spot and was actually using manual focus at the time.

If you (lens_focus) continue to have this problem, I would suggest starting a new thread. I will do the same if it happens to me again.

Steve

* Yes, I have actually done this (see ancient comment above) when I first got the camera.

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-07-2015 at 12:00 PM.