Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2014, 03:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Cleaning advice sought

This particle is visible on my viewfinder (cf. image 1). It is not on the sensor, but on the prism inside the camera through which the light from the mirror is channeled (image 2). It looks like the leg of the dead wasp I was taking macro shots of earlier today. Is there an easy way to remove this thing?

Attached Images

04-26-2014, 03:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
u tried using a rocket blower?
04-26-2014, 03:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
u tried using a rocket blower?
I have tried to blow it through the openings into the prism area. I doubt that there is much I can do. It reminds me of an insect's leg; that's why I want this thing gone. But if it doesn't, I guess I will have to live with it.
04-26-2014, 04:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Click down the hinge carefully with some tweezers and you'll be fine,

04-26-2014, 04:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Think of your focus screen as the Peanut character Pigpen. It will attract all kinds of things often if you are changing your lenses. With that said there are a couple of things you can try if using a rocket blower without removing the screen doesn't work...Some suggest using one of the sensor cleaning tools to remove items but I have always just removed the focus screen, and blow off any dust etc, blow out the interior of my camera and put it back until the next time it needs it. I rarely use any cleaning solutions or sticky stuff on an applicator on my screens unless it is absolutely needed. Doing that if not done properly will make a real mess of it.

With care, all you need is non powdered non latex gloves, a focus screen removal tool (or plastic pair of tweezers) and a rocket blower. Be sure to work in as dust free of an area you can. Just be careful you don't scratch the surface of the focus screen.

Here's a link as an example of how to remove the screen to clean it..
Cleaning your DSLR sensor & viewfinder | What I see, How I see...
04-26-2014, 04:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Think of your focus screen as the Peanut character Pigpen. It will attract all kinds of things often if you are changing your lenses. With that said there are a couple of things you can try if using a rocket blower without removing the screen doesn't work...Some suggest using one of the sensor cleaning tools to remove items but I have always just removed the focus screen, and blow off any dust etc, blow out the interior of my camera and put it back until the next time it needs it. I rarely use any cleaning solutions or sticky stuff on an applicator on my screens unless it is absolutely needed. Doing that if not done properly will make a real mess of it.

With care, all you need is non powdered non latex gloves, a focus screen removal tool (or plastic pair of tweezers) and a rocket blower. Be sure to work in as dust free of an area you can. Just be careful you don't scratch the surface of the focus screen.

Thanks, but I think I will delay such an action until a more serious problem occurs. Btw, is this guy doing it right?

04-26-2014, 05:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
Thanks, but I think I will delay such an action until a more serious problem occurs. Btw, is this guy doing it right?

Pentax-kr change Split focus screen - YouTube
I really don't suggest using metal tweezers as it is too easy for them to slip and scratch the screens surface, trust me that will drive you even more crazy until you get a new screen...Been there done that. Also I recommend getting a focus screen tool. Trying to work on cleaning the screen while keeping pressure with tweezers, without dropping it, is a PIA. The tool grasps the tab and maintains pressure without any effort on your part and makes, removing, cleaning & replacing the screen correctly much easier and they are not that expensive. Also I recommend using gloves or a finger glove at least. Any finger print will show facilitating the need to use a liquid cleaner to remove it. I bought and replaced my standard screen with one of the ML60's, the kit came with a tool but I also use this one, well worth the money spent

Mamiya 211346 Tweezers for Focus Screen 211-346
04-26-2014, 06:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I really don't suggest using metal tweezers as it is too easy for them to slip and scratch the screens surface, trust me that will drive you even more crazy until you get a new screen...Been there done that. Also I recommend getting a focus screen tool. Trying to work on cleaning the screen while keeping pressure with tweezers, without dropping it, is a PIA. The tool grasps the tab and maintains pressure without any effort on your part and makes, removing, cleaning & replacing the screen correctly much easier and they are not that expensive. Also I recommend using gloves or a finger glove at least. Any finger print will show facilitating the need to use a liquid cleaner to remove it. I bought and replaced my standard screen with one of the ML60's, the kit came with a tool but I also use this one, well worth the money spent

Mamiya 211346 Tweezers for Focus Screen 211-346
I wonder if this particle is a camel hair. I had stored the blower together with the camel hair brush that came with it. Mea culpa.

04-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I wonder if this particle is a camel hair. I had stored the blower together with the camel hair brush that came with it. Mea culpa.
Usually brush hair is straight and larger so it might be a piece of fibre or lint... Over a period of time these types of things get less and less of a distraction and you'll learn to live with it until enough builds up make it worth cleaning. Otherwise you'll wind up cleaning your screen way more than necessary.
04-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is probably lint or fine hair on the focus screen; as others suggested, use tweezers to take it out and use jet blower to clear it (be careful and don't put it down anywhere as it will attract more junk) and then put it back.

BTW, I do that many times and no problem so far...
04-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Remove the screen? Be prepared for more dust when you put it back in.

Steve
04-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter

The tool in your link looks very much like the tool Pentax gives in the Focus Screen Replacement Kits. I just want readers to be aware that when you buy the new screen (Pentax Brand) you get a case to hold the old and new screens, that won't scratch the screen when placed in one of its two spots, and a Pentax tool to hold the tab of the focus screen.

If your going to just clean the focus screen and plan on keeping the camera for a few years or more for the price you may want to just buy the whole new screen and have a back-up screen just in case. Why do I have so many? Well, I like to have back-ups . I can't think of any reason to have the tool that is linked to and the Pentax tool? Only if you buy the one in the link first to remove your screen for cleaning.

you know I have been shooting Pentax for over six years. On top of it I am ........ when it comes to any speck on my screen. Some can live with tons of stuff, some can't stand just one hair. I have a dry brush to clean them and wet swabs. But from time to time I may make a mistake and scratch them. Trust me its a very real threat. Do it at your own risk. If you can live with it, you will save yourself a lot of money. Even with the tool or tons of tools there is a decent chance of scratching the screen, how? You use the other end of the tool to pull on the latch to let the focus screen come out. Sometimes it does not come out and just hangs there. Well things can go wrong from there and other situations.

Was it worth it for me. Yep every penny and I am proud and glad I have never had to use a focus screen with one speck of dust in it for years . To those who can that sounds .......... I know.

EDIT: BTW I included the tweezers for a reason. To show how secure the proper tool holds the screen and kind of give you an idea of how clumsy it would be with tweezers. I only use them in an emergency. Thanks to Oldbayrunner for pointing out my inclusion of the tweezers in the pic that leaves viewers to guess what, why. You should avoid them. The Focus Screen should ONLY be handled with its tab and proper tool. If I took those tweezers and just grabbed the side of the screen there would be one more box in the pic.

Last edited by jamesm007; 04-30-2014 at 07:42 PM. Reason: wording,
04-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
The tool in your link looks very much like the tool Pentax gives in the Focus Screen Replacement Kits. I just want readers to be aware that when you buy the new screen (Pentax Brand) you get a case to hold the old and new screens, that won't scratch the screen when place in one of its two spots, and a Pentax tool to hold the tab of the focus screen.
Yep I mentioned that one came with the Pentax ML60 I purchased in my original post. The Mamiya one I bought awhile ago prior to purchasing My Pentax cameras and new Focus screens. The Mamiya is $16.00 so If you don't plan on buying a screen then it makes sense to get one. Tweezers are not as safe to use and are a pita imo.
05-01-2014, 02:40 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

There is another thing to look out for that hasn't been mentioned here thus far.

Even if you are not using a tweezers on a daily basis, a livelong experience will have taught you to press the tweezers together to grab something but this focus tool is in a sense counter intuitive because you squeeze first to open it and let go to close it to grab. When your brain is in auto mode like this it can get you into trouble so you have to concentrate not to squeeze if your brain says to put more pressure to bear on the screen to steady it a bit more.

You will just let the inbuild spring of the tool do its job, its all the grabbing power you get to hold the screen. Squeezing will release it, not holding it with stronger force.

Believe me it is an easy thing get wrong.

Greetings