Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't noticed any softness issues with my 17-70c but in all honesty, I haven't taken a lot of shots at 17mm. The distortion at 17mm is quite noticeable in a lot of shots but correctable fairly easily in PP. As for whether it's better than the older version, I don't have one to compare with but it's unlikely that I would buy the new one if I already owned the older version. It is a really good lens in my experience so far. It's quick to focus and silent to my hearing (which isn't good so don't trust my word).

05-02-2014, 06:30 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I assume since it is not a Pentax lens, there is no in-camera correction for the distortion.....which wouldn't be a big deal to those of us who usually shoot RAW anyway.
05-02-2014, 06:41 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I assume since it is not a Pentax lens, there is no in-camera correction for the distortion.....which wouldn't be a big deal to those of us who usually shoot RAW anyway.
I haven't tried it with my cameras. Even with my Pentax lenses I don't use the in camera correction for distortion or chroma exactly for the reason you mentioned, the write speed reduction, since it's fast and easy to correct in my processing.
05-02-2014, 07:29 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Your assumption is correct.

I have been shooting with the 17-70 (C) for a couple of weeks now and am pretty impressed. My only beefs are the weight and the "shortening" of focal length at moderate to close subject distance. The FOV at 1 meter and 70mm zoom is about the same as a 55mm prime.

Steve