Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Inconsistent "3 second delay" when using remote control shutter trigger

So I put my K-50 on a tripod yesterday to take some family photos in front of my house, and I set the K-50's remote control function to have a "3 second delay" before the shutter would release after I pressed the button on my Pentax Remote Control F. But when I used the remote, the picture snapped immediately, as if the 3 second delay wasn't engaged. I checked to make sure I had the correct setting. What I discovered was that the 3 second delay would work every so often-- but it might take a few times of immediate firing before it did properly do the delayed shutter triggering that I needed.

Has anyone had this problem with the K-50, K-30, or any other K-mount DSLR body? I can't recall this problem happening to my K-x when I owned that camera. Anyway, it was a bit annoying/frustrating and I'm not sure if the problem is my remote control (it's a little old) or if there is a problem with the camera's front infrared sensor. I should probably test the rear infrared sensor to see if the same problem occurs using that side.

04-28-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
the only way to engage both is with a WIRED release trigger. wirelessly wont engage the timer since they are both on the same "menu". i know its dumb,i also found out last week when i wanted to try bracketing wirelessly.
04-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
the only way to engage both is with a WIRED release trigger. wirelessly wont engage the timer since they are both on the same "menu". i know its dumb,i also found out last week when i wanted to try bracketing wirelessly.
Hmm, wonder why my old K-x never had a problem with using the wireless remote control to trigger the 3 second delayed timer. And what's weird is that my K-50 does initiate the delay every now and then, it's just inconsistent and alternates between working correctly and firing immediately. That makes me think there is some sort of malfunction here. Or maybe I should try to upgrade the K-50's firmware to see if the problem goes away-- something I've not yet done since buying the camera.
04-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
my bad dude.i thought you meant engaging the wireless remote and the plain timer where clearly you stated the 3-sec timer. actually it does work, not sure why yours is inconsistent. try upgrading to the lastest fw. what doesnt work however is exposure bracketing with the wireless remote.

04-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
my bad dude.i thought you meant engaging the wireless remote and the plain timer where clearly you stated the 3-sec timer. actually it does work, not sure why yours is inconsistent. try upgrading to the lastest fw. what doesnt work however is exposure bracketing with the wireless remote.
Ah, that makes sense now. I haven't tried exposure bracketing wirelessly and that's not my primary concern right now. I will try loading the new firmware and see what happens. This problem is more of an annoyance than any serious glitch.
04-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I suggest it a possible problem with the signal on your remote. Did you happen to notice infra red flash a few times after you pressed your remote button? Was the K50's flash set to redeye reduction? And did you have the Remote Auto focus set to ON on in the menu?

BTW.. The K50 does not have a rear infrared nor does it have the feature to allow it to exposure bracket wirelessly.
04-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestion-- I hadn't considered that maybe the remote control itself is faulty. I got the Pentax Remote Control F about 4 years ago, but have not used it that much-- doubt the battery is dying on it. But perhaps the remote is malfunctioning. As for your questions, I'll have to look into each of them as I troubleshoot this issue. I did have the autofocus set to ON using a remote, and I had the flash turned to automatically fire but I can't recall if it's set to redeye reduction. I did not see the infra red flash a few times after I pressed the remote button-- it flashed once at the moment the shutter released.

Yep, you're right that it has no rear infrared. I was thinking of my MX-1 that has both front and rear IR sensors.
04-29-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the 3 second delay on my K-30 nearly every time I use a tripod and I haven't seen that happen. I don't think it could be the remote, it just sends a signal to the camera. It is possible that there is a setting that is affecting it. If you don't have a pdf manual downloaded from Pentax, do it. Then you have a searchable menu.

04-30-2014, 05:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Yes I agree it couldn't be the remote. I misread your initial post. When you select the remote 3 second delay it should show as such on the live view display, so check that before shooting. Also on my K50 after the remote auto focuses the camera my infra rd lights flashes and it emits continued beeps for the 3 seconds until the shutter releases.
05-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just tested my K-50 with the remote control and everything worked perfectly. Not sure why I experienced the glitch the other day. Of course, it worked correctly in a controlled, test environment, and went all wonky during the real photo shoot. Oh well. Hopefully the problem will not recur.

Thanks everyone!