Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
I too am using a Mac.
If you have 'read only' permissions on your card, you'll not be able to write to it. I've given you information how to fix it.
Select the SD card icon and right click => get info. In the Get Info window see if you have write permissions. If not, click the lock item, authenticate and adjust.

OK but I do't see the 'lock item' in that get info window

04-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by billy moon Quote
OK but I do't see the 'lock item' in that get info window
Ah. . . Which Mac model? Which OS?
04-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you thank you. I see the padlock clicked on it to unlock, entered password and it is now unlocked but wait it still does not slide in the sd card . Let me restart and get back to you.
04-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Thank you thank you. I see the padlock clicked on it to unlock, entered password and it is now unlocked but wait it still does not slide in the sd card . Let me restart and get back to you.
You must unlock it first in order to be able to change the permissions to read/write. Unlocking on its own won't do it.

04-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
OK it has me listed to read and write, others to read only. Plus when I close get info the padlock shows locked as before. Do you think the card reader itself has anything do with this?
04-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #21
Pentaxian

OK it has me listed to read and write,
So, you should now be able to copy the firmware, yes?
04-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #22
Forum Member

Plus when I close get info the padlock shows locked as before. Do you think the card reader itself has anything do with this?
No, when you clicked the padlock and entered your password to unlock it, the system temporarily gave you administrative access to change the permissions, etc. Once that time elapsed, those rights expired and it was locked again. There are some settings in the system preferences that have this same type of behavior.

04-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No not yet still. I have tried both the sd cards I have and they both come up with read only. I borrowed my wives sd card, we use SanDisk, and that shows read and write. So I will clean/format her card and then see what happens using that card.

---------- Post added 04-28-14 at 06:29 PM ----------

OK then. When the sd card is formatted in the camera the read and write changes to read only. Remember this SanDisk card was from my wives Panasonic and it said read and write under file info until I formatted it in my camera. Both the Pentax and Ricoh Gr removes the write portion!
04-30-2014, 03:41 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Does the same thing on my wives NEW Mac so I believe it's not a computer permission issue on my Mac 10.6.8
04-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I did some googleing on the issue . . . it seems to happen on the card readers built into some Mac models. One fix was to adjust the position of the locked/unlocked switch on the card to half way between the two. One other person found a sticking part *inside* the card reader itself, which, when freed, fixed the problem. But your problem seems camera specific, so I dunno.
04-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Highlight your card on the Mac desktop
Right click and select "Get info"
At the bottom of the "Info" window you have "Sharing and permissions"
Below the Sharing and Permissions window is a yellow lock.
Click on that, it will ask for your administrator's password. Enter it can continue by clicking on the Sharing and Permissions window.
That will enable you to change the permissions. Click on "everyone", change the permissions to "read and write."
Then click on the check box where it says "Ignore ownership on this volume."
Close the window.

That should do it.