Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #1

K-5 Shutter Release or AF not sure which

I really don't know how to explain what my pentax k-5 is doing but I will try. I normally shoot on AF but yesterday it would not take the picture even though the red box came up saying it was in focus. So I switched to manual focus and it did the same thing. It will take one then not take any. Do you think it is the shutter release or the focus?

04-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check in custom manual for AF.S and AF.C setting, if it is set 'focus' priority, then the shutter release will not trip until the camera AF system shows a 'green' hexagon (meaning focus achieved) in the viewfinder.
04-28-2014, 06:06 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Check in custom manual for AF.S and AF.C setting, if it is set 'focus' priority, then the shutter release will not trip until the camera AF system shows a 'green' hexagon (meaning focus achieved) in the viewfinder.
I checked and it was on focus priority so I changed it to release-priority and it took one picture then won't do any more.
04-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scotheran Quote
I checked and it was on focus priority so I changed it to release-priority and it took one picture then won't do any more.
If it is set to 'release priority' and the shutter release would not trip, then it is something else; could be card full/error or something else like battery depleted. Make sure the battery and card are ok, if it is stalled, then remove battery and re-insert battery to try again.

04-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
If it is set to 'release priority' and the shutter release would not trip, then it is something else; could be card full/error or something else like battery depleted. Make sure the battery and card are ok, if it is stalled, then remove battery and re-insert battery to try again.
It is a new memory card that I formatted and a fully charged battery. I am thinking it could possibly be a shutter release mechanism problem but of course I could be wrong. I wanted to get some feedback before I send it off.
04-28-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scotheran Quote
It is a new memory card that I formatted and a fully charged battery. I am thinking it could possibly be a shutter release mechanism problem but of course I could be wrong. I wanted to get some feedback before I send it off.
I am running out of ideas, hope someone else can chime in. Can you try another SD card to see if it works?
04-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Take the lens off and put it back on, to make sure it's seated properly. Make sure the aperture ring (if you have one) is set to 'A'.
04-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Before you send it somewhere, try a hard reset of the camera to return it to factory state. Maybe update the firmware too. May fix your problem.

04-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #9
Forum Member

What shooting mode are you in? Are the exposure values within a range that the camera is happy with?
04-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
Pentaxian

What lens are you using? Try changing lenses.

Here are some steps that might help determine whether the problem is autofocus, focus confirmation, or the shutter button.

Set the camera to AF on shutter half-press, AF.C focus mode, single shutter mode. Hold the button halfway down and pan between near and far objects. Do you hear the AF motor activate and does the focus change? If yes, then the shutter button is at least partially working. Do you get the Af confirmation hexagon in the viewfinder? Press the button the rest of the way and do you get a photo?

Set the camera to AF on the rear AF button and not with the shutter button. Repeat the above steps.

Set the shutter mode to high-speed continuous. What happens when you hold the shutter button down: multiple photos, just one photo, or nothing at all?

Go into liveview. Can you focus and take photos?